Question How soon after a microdiscectomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
WoodyLompoc

WoodyLompoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife, in her early sixties, slipped on a dive boat (fully geared up) last Thanksgiving and ended up rupturing a disc between L2 and L3. After months of PT and several injections, she had a microdiscectomy in August.
We have the impression that the surgeon is not a diving expert, as she has plenty of range of motion and weight restrictions, but he told her she can return to diving four months post surgery.
Any thoughts on how long an otherwise healthy sixty-something should wait before trying to dive again (let alone try to get in and out of a wetsuit)? There is also the concern of bouncing around in a dive boat.

I really depends on how physically fit she is, ie. her core strength and her flexibility.
I was back to tech diving in 10 weeks but I was careful about carrying and lifting too many cylinders. Microdiscectomy was one of the best things I ever did, (63 at the time). 100% pain free since the surgery 5 years ago, but I work out 5 days a week and every workout starts with a serious core and abs routine and ends with yoga, stretching and 5 minutes on a balance board. It makes all the difference, but you have to commit to putting in the effort.

My wife, in her early sixties, slipped on a dive boat (fully geared up) last Thanksgiving and ended up rupturing a disc between L2 and L3. After months of PT and several injections, she had a microdiscectomy in August.
We have the impression that the surgeon is not a diving expert, as she has plenty of range of motion and weight restrictions, but he told her she can return to diving four months post surgery.
Any thoughts on how long an otherwise healthy sixty-something should wait before trying to dive again (let alone try to get in and out of a wetsuit)? There is also the concern of bouncing around in a dive boat.
Can you clarify the weight restrictions? Did you mean that she has no weight restrictions?

I think that as long as the surgeon understands the kind of loading her spine will see while geared up on a tossing dive boat then I would defer to him/her for how long to wait before diving.

Best regards,
DDM

Having had 3 micro-diskectomies I'd say ~4 months is about right for an uncomplicated recovery. Waiting an extra month is prudent since reinjuring and going back again sucks!

Suggest she don and doff gear in the water to avoid weight bearing on her spine and have someone (you?) tote her gear. I had that surgery at L5-S1 a dozen years ago. I now have other back issues and do not carry gear out of the water.

My wife reached out to DAN just after I made my post.

In short (DAN gave a very long and detailed response) DAN says it is best to wait until the surgeon clears her for "contact sports".

Thanks all for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom