How long do hoses normally last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe after how many years, I don't just know this. Anyway my HP hose and my inflator hose appear to be developing stress cracks at the fittings. (see the 2 pics below) Or maybe its just been long enough since I took a "really" close look at my regs, that I forgot what they're supposed to look like.

Anyway, if I'm going to replace these 2 hoses, I'm wondering if I should play it safe, and just replace all of them?

I have to take a look at the receipts, but I'm pretty sure all my hoses range in age from about 4-7 years...I'd guess the 2 in the photos are closer to the 7 year mark. This could be a good excuse to finally switch everything over to the Milflex hoses...although not going to be cheap. On the other hand, considering what I've spent recently on fishing gear, spear fishing gear, and boat crap, another few hundred so I don't potentially drown isn't that much.

Attachments

• hp.JPG
    hp.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 88
  • lp.JPG
    lp.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 82
I am using some hoses that are 30 + years old both LP and HP. I can't see any problems with the hoses in the photos. 4 to 7 years old would be like brand new to me.

Properly cared for hoses will last a long time. Avoid sharp bends especially near the ends during storage, avoid hose protectors.

I am more wary of a brand new hose then one that has proven itself over time. Although rare, unseen manufacturing defect in a new hose can cause an early failure that can not be foreseen. It may have passed the manufactures presure test that also may have stressed a defect just enough to cause an early failure.

In that case I have over 20 years to go...maybe a little less since I'm a live aboard.

Could just be the way that they're crimped, that it looks like a crack is there? I was really trying to flex them to get a better look, but really can't tell. That's why I said "appear". They didn't exploded when I opened the valve on my tanks either.

I got my reg system four years ago, and maybe a month ago I noticed a small (but still noticeable and troublesome) leak. I figured I should replace the whole thing and I got Miflex hoses. I think I cared for my gear well, and it may have just been the hose's time. The new hoses are great, and they should last for a very long time - well worth the $$$

...if I spot a gear item that's worn out / questionable, it's get's repaired/replaced....'iffy' stuff bugs the h*ll out of me, but this is coming from a guy who completely converted (7) entire regs sets last fall to MIFLEX!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom