How long can you go without rinsing your camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In my country there are unfortunately many dive boats that do not have a rinse tank (or easy access to unsalted water) and offer double dives packages. So you're stuck on a boat all morning or all afternoon, but no easy way to rinse your camera between dives (usually 1h surface interval).

Is this a big no or it doesn't really matter as long as I rinse it when I get back home?

In my country there are unfortunately many dive boats that do not have a rinse tank (or easy access to unsalted water) and offer double dives packages. So you're stuck on a boat all morning or all afternoon, but no easy way to rinse your camera between dives (usually 1h surface interval).

Is this a big no or it doesn't really matter as long as I rinse it when I get back home?
Keep it wet so the salt crystals don't form. Throw a wet towel over it, even if the towel is soaked in salt water.

I've done this for years and years with no ill effects. Try to keep the camera out of direct sunlight. The wet towel option can't hurt. When you get home soak the entire rig for at least an hour if not longer.

You do not have to rinse if you do not open the case. Works for me cause camera battery normally has enough juice for 2 dives.

Some boats do not have rinse tanks. If they do have a fresh water shower, spraying down the rig is good. If not, just covering it with a damp towel will work. When you get back, dunking it thoroughly in a fresh water tank is good. Hopefully, there is one devoted for cameras. If not, take it back to the room and rinse off thoroughly in the shower or tub works too.

Something, I have not done, but plan to do is at the trips end, at home, rinse off the exterior parts of the housing and ports with vinegar followed by fresh water.

When I return from a two tank dive morning I rinse my camera gear at the dock, there is usually water there for rinsing boats. I also give my dive gear a quick rinse too, keeping my reg attached to my tank.

When I get home I soak the camera rig for at least an hour and make sure all the strobe arm clamps are loosened too, rinsing around them with a hose.

Thanks for the tips! I won't make too much of a fuss trying to find a dive center with a proper boat next time I go diving in the islands then :)

When I was diving in Cozumel and the room only had a shower, I would bring a collapsible bucket to soak my camera.

Another option is to seal it in a plastic bag. That will trap the moisture around the camera, keeping it effectively wet. Perhaps toss in a wet wash cloth to really ensure no crystals form.

This is a technique I use when skindiving from the beach with my family. I'm done with the camera, but they want to play in the waves or just kick back and enjoy the sun.

I don't ever bother rinsing my camera.

Back
Top Bottom