How long can I wait before rinsing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A pretty long time.

Just be sure to supplement your extended soiling by utilizing warm-to-hot water and a proper soap for the job.

Every few months, I get in the shower with my wetsuit or drysuit, and soap the whole thing down with McNetts Wetsuit & Drysuit Soap... I treat it like body wash!

I take a 2 gallon lawn and garden sprayer filled with fresh water when I go beach diving. It works very well to give everything a light rinse and get most of the sand off before things get stowed in the car. I keep all of the wet stuff together and try to keep it damp until I get home and rinse/soak everything properly.

-Chocula

I'm not 100% sure about but I've never seen any statistics about it either way. The reason I'm skeptical has to do with rental stock. Rental stock gets a LOT of use and a lot of abuse and I've seen all kinds of failures.... but not once outside of leaking LP inflator hoses with o-rings that were damaged by sand, did I ever see a failure that I thought could have been caused by not rinsing. I saw lots, though, that were caused by sloppy maintenance (particularly not changing out hoses in time).
R..
When I worked in Sharm el Sheikh the gear was often left overnight on boats and it took a bit of a hammering due to crystalisation as it dried in the dry air. Even 'tough' things like Cordura materials and weightbelts became affected and plastics became brittle and cracked more easily than what I've seen in other countries where it is normal to rinse at the end of the day.

I have been on projects with limited water supplies (no water maker) that lasted over three weeks. No dive gear was rinsed and there were no regulator or power inflator failures. It is desirable, no. Is it something to stress over if you can't... apparently not. A day or two is nothing to worry about.

I like this answer. The OP's question is "How long can I wait before rinsing?" How long one "CAN" wait before salt crystal buildup MIGHT cause a problem is impossible to answer with any useful accuracy. Some people's gear goes for days or weeks without rinsing, and no problem occurs as a result, while some statistically unlucky diver might experience early salt buildup in just the wrong place at just the wrong moment. Every aspect of diving has the potential to cause a problem, and you can't eliminate all risk. Rather, we just do what we can to mitigate risk. Rinsing gear after every dive is advisable, but probably way down on the list of things to do to mitigate risk.

I've been on diving trips where we're diving all day for a week with limited fresh water for gear. Never had a problem. But it's a different story with cameras, lights and housings. I've had crystals form in areas that effect the operation. I take drinking water and rinse and actuate the controls to make sure the salt water is at least very diluted.

great cleaning tips and tricks...thanks for the info.

On 12/5/13 There was a notice on the entrance to the restroom near the Breakwall parking lot saying that the showers were turned off because a part was broken from vandalism. Didn't say when they hope to get them back up and running. :(

But that's the shower in the restroom. The outdoor shower by the picnic tables is also off and there's no signage about it anywhere.

-Adrian

What I advise all my customers as far as rinsing goes after saltwater dives is this. Local dives a couple few hours is not going to hurt. What will is allowing the gear to dry out. I have seen enough regs to know that soaking after saltwater dives is not enough. What happens, or so it seems, is that soaking will allow the salt to dissolve into smaller crystals. I see this on second stages all to often when all they did was run em through the rinse tank. After you put the first couple pieces of gear in there the tank is now saltwater. If the smaller crystals are not rinsed away with RUNNING freshwater they seem to work their way into places that larger ones (salt crystals) will not.
Soaking works to keep them in solution. It does not get rid of them. So here is what I do:

Local: rinse the regs with bottled water, a gallon jug of water brought from home, a hose if available. Put em in a bin or tub. Cover and do not let them sit in the sun. When you get home, fill the sink or bathtub with warmer water from the tap. Sink works better for regs. Make sure the dust cap is on and if you do not have a small tank to pressurize them don't soak the first stage, rinse it under running water. The second stages can be soaking while doing this. Then set the first on the counter and swish the seconds around. Drain the sink and refill. Repeat the previous steps. Drain the water and rinse the seconds and first again under running water. Hang to dry.

On trips. Do not use the communal rinse tank unless it is one that has water circulating through it. And if it does know where the water is coming from. Better is to take the regs back to your room, make sure the dust cap is on, drape them around your neck, and take em in the shower with you.

If you choose to leave them for the dive op to take care of whatever you get back is your own fault. I never leave them with anyone. Rinse the first and seconds and hang to dry.

I do this every day and the difference at the end of a trip when I get home is striking as to how much less crud there is in them. And when I get regs in for service that have been taken care if this way it is so easy to tell. Ones that have not been have thin layer of white powder looking junk in them. This is fine salt. And salt loves metal parts. I got a first stage in that had the chrome eaten away down to the brass that a guy bought used and had me overhaul. Good thing to. It would not have been long before the corrosion would have eaten too far in to salvage the reg.

On the last day when there is no more diving before the flight I disassemble the seconds and clean them out. Take the covers off, remove the diaphragm, and clean em out with a lint free cloth, freshwater, and allow to dry out of the sun before they get packed. When I get them home I do the freshwater procedure before storing them for any length of time. The people I have told about this and who follow it, I love to service their regs. They are clean, take less time in the ultrasonic, and have less problems for me to address. The ones that don't, well it costs for that extra time scrubbing and a couple trips through the ultrasonic, as well as some of the extra parts that are required due to being eaten away by corrosion. I've pulled hose protectors back that were fuzzy and had so much corrosion that in my opinion the hose fitting was compromised and the hose needed replaced.

It does not take that long, it's not rocket science, and it will save you money and headaches down the road.

I think rinsing is overrated. In 21 years of diving I have rarely rinsed my gear even the same day, and if on a dive trip I wait til the end. My last BCD and regulator I reluctantly retired after 20 years and about 2000 dives (zeagle) . Never had a malfunction. However when I do rinse, I rinse and shampoo everything thoroughly.

I don't always rinse. But when I do, I rinse with Dos Equis.
images

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom