How is the scubapro mantis (m1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is the Scubapro Mantis (m1)

I have been away from the diving world for 3-4 yrs. Use to dive with my suunto d4i. Is it as good and safe as d4i?

What's wrong with your Suunto? Both have as their selling points black box, black magic algorithms...

Yes, any modern dive computer is safe.

Last edited:
nothing wrong.. just needs a battery change.... 3-4 yrs it's already off.

Battery and o-ring change. They'll do it together in any legit service, not really expensive.

Both are broadly similar, not much reason to switch that I can see.

What kind of diving do you do? Are you happy with the Suunto computer? If yes, why would would you switch?

The Suunto runs a proprietary RGBM decompression algorithm that is generally considered relatively conservative. The Scubapro runs a proprietary Buhlmann algorithm that is generally considered middle of the road. I am skeptical of the microbubble adjustment of the algorithm, as compared to the more standard gradient factors. I am also skeptical of the "human factor" adjustments of breathing rate, heart rate and skin temperature. All of these adjustments would add conservatism to the native algorithm.

What kind of diving do you do? Are you happy with the Suunto computer? If yes, why would would you switch?

The Suunto runs a proprietary RGBM decompression algorithm that is generally considered relatively conservative. The Scubapro runs a proprietary Buhlmann algorithm that is generally considered middle of the road. I am skeptical of the microbubble adjustment of the algorithm, as compared to the more standard gradient factors. I am also skeptical of the "human factor" adjustments of breathing rate, heart rate and skin temperature. All of these adjustments would add conservatism to the native algorithm.

Hi im a recreational diver. at the same time a triathlete. keeping track of my heart rate and workout load is nothing new to me. I was away from scuba for 3-4 yrs.. due to health... im just getting an update on equipment. considering iv been away. Saw the M1 Mantis in the dive shop just recently

Hi im a recreational diver. at the same time a triathlete. keeping track of my heart rate and workout load is nothing new to me. I was away from scuba for 3-4 yrs.. due to health... im just getting an update on equipment. considering iv been away. Saw the M1 Mantis in the dive shop just recently

Diving is not an aerobic sport, Scubapro is the only brand incorporating these human factors in the decompression algorithm.

For what it's worth, Craig

If it's just in a shop, I wouldn't bother. You mention health, so presumably you want a safe, conservative computer for diving well within the rec limits. The Suunto is that.

The Mantis has some black box math that will sometimes get more conservative based on some biometric factors. It sounds useful, until you remember the only thing it can adjust is that single "NDL minutes left" number. Don't ride your computer up (ascend just enough to get extra NDL), view it as a limiter, not a challenge, and you won't need it adjusted by the computer.

There is better diving equipment to spend money on than replacing a decent PDC with another similar one.

If it's just in a shop, I wouldn't bother. You mention health, so presumably you want a safe, conservative computer for diving well within the rec limits. The Suunto is that.

The Mantis has some black box math that will sometimes get more conservative based on some biometric factors. It sounds useful, until you remember the only thing it can adjust is that single "NDL minutes left" number. Don't ride your computer up (ascend just enough to get extra NDL), view it as a limiter, not a challenge, and you won't need it adjusted by the computer.

There is better diving equipment to spend money on than replacing a decent PDC with another similar one.

very helpful... save the bucks!

Back
Top Bottom