How is the "Port is closed" communicated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard the port is closed this morning.
Screenshot_20220103-061114.png

Edit 7:30 PC sent message dive operators group that he expects condition to deteriorate as the day progresses. Probably a good day for the Rasta bar..

When I was in operation, I had a brief blurb on my website home page telling if port was open or closed, but my divers did not have to rely on that because I personally called them each morning or the evening before if I was certain it would be closed. I updated my webpage after I took care of my own divers which may have been a delay of 30 minutes to an hour sometimes. It was a general courtesy not intended to be an up to the minute update - but I still could not believe the entitled jerk divers who were diving with other shops who would call me or send nasty emails about it not being updated early enough for them as if I was obligated to keep them updated - call your own dive shop and save the nasty comments for the shop you are paying for not letting you know!

I still believe that there should be an official public site where operators, captains, and visitors alike can check this information each morning so everyone is on the same page and there are no questions. I also believe that until that happens, dive shops who care about customer service would be in communication or have some system for their divers regarding weather closures.

When I was in operation, I had a brief blurb on my website home page telling if port was open or closed, but my divers did not have to rely on that because I personally called them each morning or the evening before if I was certain it would be closed. I updated my webpage after I took care of my own divers which may have been a delay of 30 minutes to an hour sometimes. It was a general courtesy not intended to be an up to the minute update - but I still could not believe the entitled jerk divers who were diving with other shops who would call me or send nasty emails about it not being updated early enough for them as if I was obligated to keep them updated - call your own dive shop and save the nasty comments for the shop you are paying for not letting you know!

I still believe that there should be an official public site where operators, captains, and visitors alike can check this information each morning so everyone is on the same page and there are no questions. I also believe that until that happens, dive shops who care about customer service would be in communication or have some system for their divers regarding weather closures.
No good deed.....

Posts asking about port closure communication have always surprised me. The dive op I use always called to let me know.

No good deed.....

Posts asking about port closure communication have always surprised me. The dive op I use always called to let me know.
We're living in 2022. Why would we need someone at our dive op to call us that the port is closed or open?

How about the divers who don't need a babysitter can check a website to see if the port is open or closed?

The Dive with Martin facebook page seems to be quite helpful but that is still one level of communication more than should be needed.

We're living in 2022. Why would we need someone at our dive op to call us that the port is closed or open?
It's a service the dive op provides so you don't have to think about it. Even in 2022, some of us don't care to be plugged in while vacationing. A call from the dive op saves that need. As mentioned above, it's good customer service. It has nothing to do with anyone needing babysitting.

I have no opposition to the port authorities, or anyone for that matter, posting a port status. I'm just glad I don't need to rely on that to know if the boat is going out or not.

If there's a flag, an online webcam pointed at it would answer many inquiries. I'm surprised no one has addressed the need.

Back
Top Bottom