How is the "Port is closed" communicated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been a mystery to me in my 2 trips to Coz when the port is closed. The port website doesn't seem to post the information. I would like to check a website if available in the morning before I walk to my dive op.

Edit. Also how is the "Port is open" communicated, if it is different.

I contact the company I use but there are some local ops with facebook pages. Dive with Martin has a public group - Bei Facebook anmelden.
I have not had good luck with any official sites.

How does Dive with Martin or any dive op find out about the port closure or opening?

The current port Captain has been very forthcoming concerning port closures, unlike the last 4 or 5. He has often been communicating to the dive community his concerns and general plan several days in advance when possible. Recently he closed the port due to marginal approaching weather with an advance warning of a closure @ 2 PM. As he knew it allowed the dive shops to prior launch afternoon boats but kept them close to port for safety. When the port has been closed the prior evening he has re-opened the port, when possible, via radio at about 7:50 AM, unlike the previous port captains that randomly put something out between 9:30 and 11 AM, often leaving the port closed with calm local seas.
The answer is look at the weather via your phone if there are 20 Kt west winds, plan on a east side day. If it looks marginal keep in close touch with your dive OP they are listening to the official marine radio channel and many also have folks that know or are related to folks in the Port Captains office that check on the flag status and/or are aware of the Captains intensions. Always leave an access number or email with your dive OP so you can be informed of the port status.
If I am am on the island I try to post the port status on SB.
Once again I like this captain and hope he sticks around:yeahbaby::yeahbaby:

Thanks for the detailed response gopbroek. One would hope the Port Captains office would join the 21st century and put it on their website. They must have some grundoon in the office to do that.

The flag and the radio seem to work well. Dive with Martin facebook group is what anyone traveling here should follow - he is very upto the minute with updates.

The current guy is light years ahead of the previous port captains in communicating.

Yeah, I'll never forget about 3-4 years ago when some idiot port captain shut the port based on what the winds were in Cancun or something. All divers sat there for a day looking at a clear blue sky, a dead calm on the west side of the island, 84 degree air temp with a closed port! I remember I posted one hell of a rant about that one here. I think someone mentioned this new Port Captain has a naval background and a clue. Hopefully he'll stick around for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom