How is the life of a SCUBA instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just curious! Not the dive-shop owners but free-lance scuba instructors... Freedom to travel and teach wherever you want? Fun? Boring? Anyone ever done the pennyless wanderer diving vagabond thing? :popcorn:

No, I usually found ways to get people to pay me to do the wanderer diving vagabond thing.:D

not too good from a monetary standpoint----IMO---looking @ some that I know......

It's like many businesses (and I know it sounds cheesy), but you get out of it what you put into it. When I was in college, I became an instructor and busted my butt and was given the local community college program. It was small, low end of a part time job (which was fine, I was a student), but I kicked it into overdrive, expanded the classes per term, built a staff and encouraged con-ed and it was making me a pretty penny when I graduated and joined the "real world". If you have other skills, it makes finding work much easier. Or being highly ranked (a course director will have an easier time finding work than an OWSI). I've seen plenty of people successfully do the traveling scuba instructor gig and loved it.

I was the wandering dive instructor in central america and the the satets and now have stayed in the same spot for a couple of years so I could work my way up to CD. Loved it while I did it, didn't have a problem finding jobs and lived comfortably , but as mentioned previously you get out of it what you put in. I put myself out there and learnt from every experience that came my way. I just came to the point that I wanted more and to move up the rankings you need to stay put for a little while , (or I found) to get there. Happy that I did it all though : )

Absolutely love it. The interaction with new students and seeing their eyes after the first time on Scuba makes it all worthwhile. I will say that you do not normally do it to get rich but the fringe benefits are nice. You do have to be carefull and mix things up a bit though. I catch myself getting in a rut when I only teach OW classes for a while. You need to mix in some con-ed to keep yourself sharp. I enjoy the challenge because every student is different and you have to adjust your style to fit the class. It is all about the relationships you make (secondary to turning out safe, comfortable and confident divers)

Most responses so far seem to be from carefree individuals with few attachments. Their responses would likely be different if they had dependents or were supporting someone. Where do you fit in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom