How is diving in Cod Hole inNovember?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be vacationing in Cairns for the first time in November. For those who have gone there in November, how is your diving experience like (in terms of water temperature, current, visibility, what you would expect to see underwater in November, etc.)?

I'll be on a 4-day liveaboard trip with SpoilSport from Nov 21 to 24 and in Cairns 2 nights before & 3 nights after. I sure like to know what best land tours (may be including some diving / snorkeling) to choose for the 2 days prior to & 3 days after the LOB.

Thanks

Been out in November before...

Water temps should be around 27-28C (80-82F).

Current is always variable (from practically non-existent to moderate), but stronger out on Osprey Reef than it is on the Ribbon Reefs around the Cod Hole. That being said, while you might drift dive out on Osprey in a moderate current depending on which sites you go to and where the moon is in its cycle, it's certainly not anything that requires a reef hook.

Viz will depend on prevailing weather conditions, which are entirely unpredictable at that time of year. Late November is getting well into monsoon season, so there might be a storm pass through, there might not. Can't answer that one. You get what you get :)

What would you expect to see underwater? Coral and fish. Lots of fish. Sharks at Osprey. And giant potato cod at the Cod Hole. Honestly, what you see will depend on which dive sites you go to, which in turn depends on the weather and the tides.

What to do in Cairns? Go visit Kuranda. Easy day trip from Cairns. And lots of fun :)

Reactions: Dan
Thanks for the info WetPup. 27-28C is my kind of diving temperature.

Do a trip to the Daintree, crocodiles and rainforest. Could hire a car and see a bit more at the same time. The Kuranda rail trip is excellent.

I dived the Cod Hole many years ago, when I was a relatively new diver. I did it again two years ago. They were two entirely different experiences, and I don't see any way that the original experience can be repeated.

On the first trip, we actually did two dives at the Cod Hole. The first time we were on our own to explore, and the second time was the "official" Cod Hole dive, including the feeding experience. While we were doing the first dive, my buddy and I saw a single huge potato cod coming toward us while we over a sandy patch. I settled onto the patch on my hands and knees as he slowly approached me. He came closer and closer, and we eventually bumped noses. He was obviously hoping for a meal. The next dive as the official one, and we all knelt in a semicircle while 4-6 potato cod swam around us and the DM offered little fish that they would grab from right next to our masks. The cod would swim right next to you and gently take the offered fish. We later saw on the video that although there were 4-5 cod there, only one actually ate--the dominant predator obviously. It was a fun experience for a newer diver like me.

So now, years of experience later, I arrived at the same spot, not quite so enraptured with fish feeding experiences, but willing to do it. It was totally different, because a swarm of a different large fish, a reddish colored one whose name I do not recall, were competing with the cod for the feeding. Smaller, faster, and more aggressive than the cods, they got pretty much every fish. They had no sense of giving deference to the dominant predator. They were not gentle. It was not fun. We had been warned about it, so it is apparently now the norm for that dive.

The rest of the dive was better. The area is deeper than most of the GBR sites. We saw a couple of cod being cleaned by some wrasse, which was nice to watch. If I were to do it again, i would skip the feeding and just do the dive.

Do a trip to the Daintree, crocodiles and rainforest. Could hire a car and see a bit more at the same time. The Kuranda rail trip is excellent.

Thanks for the tip there, clownfishsydney. I'll be flying from Houston to Sydney via Los Angeles. Then I need to fly from Sydney to Cairns on the 19th of November. Still have not bought the domestic flight, yet. Which domestic airlines should I buy the flight fare from?

I dived the Cod Hole many years ago, when I was a relatively new diver. I did it again two years ago. They were two entirely different experiences, and I don't see any way that the original experience can be repeated.

On the first trip, we actually did two dives at the Cod Hole. The first time we were on our own to explore, and the second time was the "official" Cod Hole dive, including the feeding experience. While we were doing the first dive, my buddy and I saw a single huge potato cod coming toward us while we over a sandy patch. I settled onto the patch on my hands and knees as he slowly approached me. He came closer and closer, and we eventually bumped noses. He was obviously hoping for a meal. The next dive as the official one, and we all knelt in a semicircle while 4-6 potato cod swam around us and the DM offered little fish that they would grab from right next to our masks. The cod would swim right next to you and gently take the offered fish. We later saw on the video that although there were 4-5 cod there, only one actually ate--the dominant predator obviously. It was a fun experience for a newer diver like me.

So now, years of experience later, I arrived at the same spot, not quite so enraptured with fish feeding experiences, but willing to do it. It was totally different, because a swarm of a different large fish, a reddish colored one whose name I do not recall, were competing with the cod for the feeding. Smaller, faster, and more aggressive than the cods, they got pretty much every fish. They had no sense of giving deference to the dominant predator. They were not gentle. It was not fun. We had been warned about it, so it is apparently now the norm for that dive.

The rest of the dive was better. The area is deeper than most of the GBR sites. We saw a couple of cod being cleaned by some wrasse, which was nice to watch. If I were to do it again, i would skip the feeding and just do the dive.

Thanks for the tips, boulderjohn. So, they still do the fish feeding in Cod Hole when you dive with Spoilsport?

Thanks for the tips, boulderjohn. So, they still do the fish feeding in Cod Hole when you dive with Spoilsport?
I did the Spirit of Freedom on my most recent trip. The earlier trip was on a boat that no loner operates--the Nimrod Explorer.

No. I was out on Spoilsport last year - no fish feeding at Cod Hole. They still feed the sharks at Osprey though.

Regarding airlines for domestic flights, I strongly recommend either Qantas or Virgin. They will cost a little more than Jetstar, but Jetstar is notoriously unreliable.

Probably red bass. They are very aggressive and when I last dived the Ribbon Reefs (2007) on the night dives we could not keep our torches pointing at a fish for more than a second or two as the red bass would use the light to hunt. If you kept it on a fish (or squid, cuttlefish etc) the bass attacked them. Very annoying. They have probably multiplied due to less sharks which probably kept them in smaller numbers. They also have learnt to hunt at night using divers' torch light.

As to airlines, use whoever is the cheapest. I have flown Jetstar numerous times without any problems, including to Cairns from Sydney (and return). They also are a bit more flexible in terms of luggage (which you have to pay for) as they have various weights. Qantas and Virgin are full service so you get food and drink included, whereas Jetstar you have to pay for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom