How is crime in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually my EMT dives with me, so unfortunately the vehicle is left unprotected. However, she’s an awesome cook, so there’s that…
EMT, FNP ... what's the difference? Never mind.

EMT, FNP ... what's the difference? Never mind.

She was an EMT prior to becoming a FNP, so technically I bring both! :nyah:

Is there a drug addiction situation on Bonaire or do you guys think people steal out of necessity?

Shore diving in rustic areas pretty much guarantees that the property owners/renters are encumbered in awkward gear, literally weighted down, wearing fins and can't run fast, and will reliably be gone out of sight over 45 minutes. They are likely tourists and will leave the island (probably the country) within a week or so. And law enforcement won't be going all 'C.S.I.' tracking down petty theft perp.s.

Put your rental truck key in some sort of dry box (some of us like the new DryFob), leave your doors unlocked and windows down (as tursiops said, if not raining), don't leave anything of value except scuba tanks in the vehicle (or minor things you can write off it taken; sunglasses, flip flops, a 2-L plastic bottle of water frozen to provide drinking and rinse water). Don't leave camera gear, cell phones, money, etc...

That usually avoids the problem. In fact, if you do those things, and lock your apartment door, you probably won't have a problem.

Disclaimer: Once in awhile we hear of disturbing atypical violations, like when the spare tire was taken from the vehicle of your friend and his wife. Or a battery is stolen or gas siphoned. Those accounts seem few, but I would imagine could be highly aggravating. In a nutshell, not likely but of course I can't guarantee you anything, any more than I can do so regarding your own car back home.

We occasionally hear reports of burglaries of accommodations. It's been my subjective impression from forum reports that it seems more of those were in small or single residence accommodations, rather than on larger dive resort grounds like Buddy Dive Resort. I haven't rented condo.s and I'm not saying don't. I am saying if you have a higher than usual anxiety level about crime, a room on grounds in a big dive resort might help you feel more comfortable.

I've found Bonaire a pretty safe place to get out and walk around, even late. I don't go out looking for seedy looking places, drugs, hit on local women, get drunk in bars, etc... Most anywhere you can find trouble if you go looking.
Exactly! Don’t leave anything in your vehicle you can’t afford to lose. We have never had anything stolen, but we only leave old sandals, hats, clothing and cheap sunglasses in the truck. Common sense.

Are those the only two choices?
I would add boredom. The kids who broke into our villa took the keys to our truck and went joyriding until the police stopped them. Poverty in general, and the local population not having especially busy lives are probably two big ones.

Haves vs have-not, perceived Rich tourists, ease of stealing from dive site/bags left on beach while snorkeling, silly people leaving cameras/cell phones in locked cars surrounded by thousands of rocks, ineffective policing/laws... bored kids that want some $ in their pocket.

For the most part, keeping vehicle unlocked and free of valuables is a what has worked for us. Keeping condo locked, windows closed at night and when unoccupied with curtains draw fixes some of the condo beak-in issues.

For the most part, keeping vehicle unlocked and free of valuables is a what has worked for us. Keeping condo locked, windows closed at night and when unoccupied with curtains draw fixes some of the condo beak-in issues.
Agreed. I should add that the "break-in at our villa" I mentioned above was due in part to our own negligence of leaving a door unlocked.

Before my trip I saw almost everyone saying the same basic "rules" -- one of them "leave your truck windows down". Nobody, including myself, was following that recommendation. It rained almost every day, for 42 days, and even when not raining, the bugs were horrible, nobody wants to come back after a dive to a truck full of bugs. I didn't see any smashed/broken windows or glass on the ground, and had no problems myself, including several days at very remote sites where my wife and I felt we had the entire island to ourselves (not many people at remote sites on stormy days).

I have heard there is poor cell phone coverage at some of the more remote sites.
My phone worked most places around town, and I was paying for the roaming services. It didn't work at all at Playa Frans, not even to send a tiny "test" text message, let alone to make a call. It didn't even work at Andrea 1 when we had a flat tire (and bad spare). A local man came out of his house to help us, and his phone didn't work either. Had to go inside his house and use his wifi to make a phone call.

Back
Top Bottom