How is Bonaire ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Bonaire on Monday (Sept. 4th). Wonderful diving and we had no problem with any type of crime. Maybe we were just lucky, I don't know, maybe the revamping of the police dept. had something to do with it!?

I hear the same type of stories about Hawaii and other islands concerning breaking into vehicles to steal stuff. So far I haven't had to experience any of it first hand.

dvrliz1:
Second, the police force is re-vamping, much more police presence, high standards for trainees and for evaluations on current police officers. All of the people we have spoken with are very happy with the "new and improved" police force.
Liz

I hope that works out. Many people (myself included) have a perception that thefts on Bonaire are a problem,which can not be good for business.

Now if you can get the Windjammer site opened I might just come back someday.

ianr33:
I hope that works out. Many people (myself included) have a perception that thefts on Bonaire are a problem,which can not be good for business.

Now if you can get the Windjammer site opened I might just come back someday.

It's working out very well! Much more police presence on the island, new Police Chief is exactly what we needed....basically 0 tolerance...

FYI the Windjammer itself is not closed...the shore entry is closed.... shhhhhhhhhhhhh....

The north end is a lovely place for boat dives....

Liz

Curious to know how folks are getting to Bonaire? We can get award tickets to Aruba using Delta and then were thinking of taking the island hopper over to Bonaire. I have read nightmares about AA through SanJuan and Air Jamaica (epsecially if flights are missed because they are Saturday only). Which only leaves Continental which I think is Saturday only.

We are doing the Continental flight. I wouldn't use AA with the problems i have heard of and am still afraid to use AJ after they treated us the way they did two years ago on our return from bonaire. I like the continental flight as we only have to change planes twice instead of three or four times.

We did the Continental flight in July. Even with it being overnight it was one of the better trips we have taken. Go to sleep on the plane and wake up on Bonaire, I can deal with that. Besides, we get in an extra day of diving to boot.

I was very happy to see the CON flights out of Houston! It made life much easier and no neeed for layovers...still a long travel day,though!
Herman-Agreed! Nothing wrong with an extra dive day!

I will also recomend a day of diving with Larrys Wildside out of Cai-Dont let the "wildside" scare you off-my new wife did it after only 9 or 10 dives being newly certed!
I would also recommend a day in the Ntl Park-I really enjoyed it!Its nice to know that land will always be preserved and unspoiled!!

Bonaire is Nirvana for me..great people,great diving,great food!

Continential is what I figured most people were starting to use. We used them this summer to Micronesia and found them pretty reasonable. Unfortuantely, no dice on the award ticket so through Arbua we go. And with the schedule for the island hopper we will have a 6 hour layover. Perhaps just enough time for a quick snorkel some where on Aruba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom