How important is warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asp9208

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I Have been researching the major gear purchases, regs, bc, etc.. for the last few weeks and have basically decided what I want. However, I just recently found out that my lds will be selling its rental gear, all roughly a year old, this weekend at substantial discounts. What is holding me back isn't necessarily the fear of used gear but the total lack of warranty despite them offering a 1 year in store warranty for this sale. So I guess what I want to know is if having a full factory warranty is worth paying that much extra for new gear even if the rental gear has been maintained by the dive shop the entire time.

Thanks,
Adam

Here is the deal, the warranty only covers parts, not labor and you must keep up the yearly services (on time and paperwork kept up). The parts on regs are fairly inexpensive on most regs, your going to pay the labor reguardless so, ask your LDS what the reg parts are going to cost, decide for yourself if your going to have it serviced every year, everyother year or what ever and see what the saving will be. Then make up your mind. There is another thread that is discussing how often to service a reg....I have my own opinion but best if you read the thread and decide for yourself.

..snip..
but the total lack of warranty despite them offering a 1 year in store warranty for this sale.
..snip..

Why do you say a total lack of warranty if they're giving you a 1 year warranty in the store?

Sounds like a great deal if they're giving you a discount and delivering the gear recently serviced.

The manufacturer's warranty would only be worthwhile if it was one of those brands that give you lifetime parts and even then these deals only compensate if you're diving regularly enough to justify the annual labour charges to keep the deal running.
Many divers pause or slow down after the first enthusiasm wears off and 1 year maintenance cycles are not that necessary. I know a lot of divers that drop down to 18 month or 24 month maintenance cycles which would invalidate a free parts deal.

is your lds selling the gear that you want? is it the gear that you are looking to buy brand new?

if yes then i would buy it discounted, you still have 1yr warranty from the shop and you build up a little more goodwill with your lds

cheers and goodluck

I own a bunch of regs, probably dozens. I could care less about the warranty. I regularly inspect my regs and only fix what breaks or needs replacing. I can work on my gear and the money I have seen some LDS charge for an overhaul I could buy another regulator. I personally think it is a waste of money and it is worth your time to learn to do it yourself. I have one reg that is still working flawlessly for over 20 years without ever being rebuilt. It has had the mouthpiece replaced a few times. I keep water out of the first stage and soak them well after each dive.
The money I have saved by not getting annual overhauls allows me to buy even more dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom