How I spent my Easter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indypddiver

Reaction score
While enjoying a nice Easter Sunday with family and friends, the pager beeps and away I go...

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/137099-6343-092.html

One person drowns at Eagle Creek
Two men fall into the reservoir, but only one can be rescued in incident this afternoon.

By Jon Murray
jon.murray@indystar.com
April 12, 2004

An Indianapolis man drowned at Eagle Creek Reservoir this afternoon after jumping in to rescue a friend who had fallen off a dock, police said.

Anastacio Caracas, 24, had been in 9 feet of water for about 20 minutes and was unconscious before 3:30 p.m. when an a dive team member pulled him out, said Sgt. Terry Hall, dive commander for Indianapolis Police Department.

After a crew failed to revive him on the dock, he was rushed to Methodist Hospital, where he was declared dead within an hour.

After the ambulance left, about a dozen family members and friends — who had been picnicking at the reservoir on Easter Sunday — prayed with IPD and Pike Township Fire Department chaplains.

Indianapolis Fire Department and Marion County Sheriff's Department also responded to the drowning at the Eagle Creek marina, between 56th Street and 62nd Street on the Northwestside.

Caracas and another man were horsing around on the dock shortly after 3 p.m. when the other man fell in the water.

Caracas jumped in to pull him out, but the 50-degree water probably stunned him, Hall said.

"When you hit that water, you just gasp and you suck water in right away," he said, in what is called an involuntary gasp. "That's probably what happened."

This story will update as more details become available.

What a way to ruin this religious holiday for everyone involved. Now every holiday will just rekindle the death for the surving family.

I've gotten up and run from as many Christmas dinners as I have sat through. A good understanding family on the PSD's side is a big help.

What about the second victim?

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom