How heavy should my back plate be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trip17

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm currently using a scuba pro knighthawk BCD + 4-5lbs of weights (total). I'm thinking of switching to a back plate system however, I'm unsure if I should get a 4lbs stainless steel back plate or an aluminum one.

Ideally, I don't want to add weights anymore.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey all! I'm currently using a scuba pro knighthawk BCD + 4-5lbs of weights (total). I'm thinking of switching to a back plate system however, I'm unsure if I should get a 4lbs stainless steel back plate or an aluminum one.

The stainless plates usually come in at 5-6 lbs per plate. When I am diving a drysuit, or other types of body insulation I use stainless plates which range in weight from 6 - 17 pounds. The heavier ones are custom jobs. You can also add weight as needed to your plate by using plate weights which are available here:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=backplate_acc

X

I normally dive in a tropical environment and use a 3mm wet suit. Sometimes I also use a 7mm suit but not that often.

The weight of the BP is your choice, it all depends on how you weight yourself, what equipment you use (dry suit, wet suit, 3mm...14mm) the BP weight helps distribute the weight over the central part of the body hence better balance...
Ask yourself, with your normal diving setup, how much weight do you use?
for myself, I used 6-8 Kgms with my 3mm suit in warm water (6 for double tank , 8 with a single tank) I am targeting a BP of around 2.5kgms of weight hence I can reduce the overall lead used...

I switched from using a BC with integrated weights to a Deep Sea Supply long SS back plate (about 7 pounds) and in freshwater with my 3/2 shorty or my 3 full wetsuit I no longer need any additional weight. Saltwater I'm going to need 6-8 lbs which I'll wear on a weight belt. Sounds like you would be best suited with a SS plate if you are wanting to get rid of the weights for most dives.

Most steel plates are 5-6lbs negative added to the the fact that your knighthawk probably is 1-2lbs positive you would need 6-8lbs less weight
Aluminium plates are about 1.5-2lbs negative......2-4lbs less weight for the Al plate.
My sugestion would be to get a Steel DSS plate and wing.....it's one of the lighter ones at -5lbs and doesn't need a STA (more negative weight). You might be over weighted by 1lb....but you'll easily be able to deal with that.

The switch from a knighthawk to a BP will also cause you to lose the inherent buoyancy of a rather elaborate BC. That could be another 2 or 3 pounds. A steel plate will leave you heavy but manageable. I'd suggest the Al plate and a pound or 2 in a separate pocket (or belt) if you need it.

Do you fly with your gear? If you do the AL backplate might make more sense. I am always within a pound or two of the weight limit with my gear with an AL plate. If you need more weight you can get a v-weight or stick soft weights between your plate & doubles.

Scott

Thank you all for your reply. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use aluminum without weights but I don't think that's possible - for me at lest.

What about the 4lb SS bp by DSS?

Thank you all for your reply. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use aluminum without weights but I don't think that's possible - for me at lest.

What about the 4lb SS bp by DSS?

I have one plate (1/4 inch Al @ about 6 LB) that I often use without additional weight. The problem it caused was that for some configurations (steel tank and light neoprene) the rig left me overweighted by 4 pounds or so in SW and more in FW. It is more comfortable diving when not overweighted.

My solution was multiple plates. It is better to add a few pounds of lead when you need it than to routinely dive overwighted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom