How hard is the written test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

right - if you keep your hours up they won't make you retest. if not, you can take a refresher with a private group, or test at a REC.
I routinely have to take a refresher with a private school due to lack of 365 days per 5 years.

The refresher tests are short but no big deal and its a social day so I don't mind. The side benefit is the school I do refreshers through makes sure my packet ticks all the right boxes. I don't renew my TWIC even though I renew my license (not needing access to any TWIC controlled docks or boats) and they make sure that's not a holdup in West Virginia.

I took the commercial class quite a few years ago for the 6 pack license and it was mostly just memorize the answers for 4-5 nights. There were 5 or 6 different tests and all were pretty easy. I actually learned more taking the local Coast Guard class. Just an FYI, check on your insurance. Mine would have gone up considerably if I had actually set up my boat for commercial operation, as opposed to just running out with friends and sharing the cost. Because of the implied extra responsibility, I let it expire after the 5 years was up.

I took the commercial class quite a few years ago for the 6 pack license and it was mostly just memorize the answers for 4-5 nights. There were 5 or 6 different tests and all were pretty easy. I actually learned more taking the local Coast Guard class. Just an FYI, check on your insurance. Mine would have gone up considerably if I had actually set up my boat for commercial operation, as opposed to just running out with friends and sharing the cost. Because of the implied extra responsibility, I let it expire after the 5 years was up.
One thing I had found was that my insurance went down on my private boat (not a charter) when I presented my license to the insurance company. I guess they thought that I had more experience if I had a license and would be less of a risk. Not all insurance companies do this but some do. It might be worth asking for a discount if you hold a license.

Well I just finished renewing, and as usual didn't use a prep school.

As before, the rules of the road exam was straightforward, and the "general" exam was less straightforward. It uses questions aimed at the unlimited Oceans types, some of which is not typical for the 100-tonners--monsoons, ship construction terms, signals shown by a submarine during war games, AMVER message format, tactical circle diagrams, dangerous bulk cargoes, to name a few.

And one admin item that confused me for a while--You'll use the Mariner-number from your license/credential, simple enough. Then, you'll get an Application Number once they get your package. What I didn't realize was you get *two* application numbers, not one: the first is for your physical exam and consequent medical certificate, and I assumed that would be the application number throughout. But it's not, you get a second application number for the License itself. But they don't tell you that up front. So when I got a notice from them using that second number, I didn't recognize it as such, asked them if it was meant for some other mariner. This caused some unnecessary delay. Turns out they were trying to tell me I hadn't paid my fees. But I had. Eventually they believed me, but it took some time.

The other new (to me) thing was sending the renewal (and the fees) to the local REC and not to West Virginia. That's where things went wrong with the payment, at the local office (who had recently been busted for "selling" endorsements and licenses). Don't know how they "lost" my check and Pay.gov info, but they did.

This all made me wish I'd just gone to one of the local license schools--not for the teaching content, but they would have known the new admin glitches, I didn't.

All's well that ends well---finally.

Just curious, why did you have to test to renew?

I renewed last month and only had to send in sea time and a drug screen letter with my fees and application.

I renewed last month and only had to send in sea time and a drug screen letter with my fees and application.
Renewing in the grace year.

Have to take a rules test.

Ah, that makes sense.
I've never gone that long because i always expect the worst. We've had too many people have to take an extra month or two of work because they waited. My 5 year renewals are usually done at 4 to 4 and a half depending on the reported delays.

Ah, that makes sense.
I've never gone that long because i always expect the worst. We've had too many people have to take an extra month or two of work because they waited. My 5 year renewals are usually done at 4 to 4 and a half depending on the reported delays.
Yes. I renewed early this last time and they renewed my STCW, advanced Firefighting, Radar and ARPA without having to take a refresher. I expect this is my last renewal as I am no longer sailing.

I have renewed 5 or 6 times and never had to take another written exam. Go early to avoid retesting.

if you don't have the sea time, you need to test - or take a valid refresher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom