How hard is the written test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enlighten me...why??
Low bridges. You notice that the rule differences for western rivers have to do with what lights have to be shown on the mast. If you lower a mast to clear a bridge, you aren’t showing that mast. Or the lights.

That was kind of an A-ha moment for me when I figured that out all on my own. I’m sure I was going under some low bridge somewhere wishing I could lower my mast, which was hinged for easy lowering...

I would recommend a class regardless of prior experience. The test has nothing to do with boat handling or general knowledge. It is a 70s era written test where the goal was to make it really hard as that was the sign of a good test. It is a memorization test of things you would normally just look up in a book if you had questions about.
I don't care what lights I need to display when I am pushing ahead above the Huey P Long bridge. But if I was doing that, I would certainly look it up.
The test prep classes are generally learning mnemonics to help memorize things. Think of it more as learning the alphabet song because it is easier than memorizing the alphabet without it.

It was 6 issues ago that I bought the Houston Marine 100 ton class package but did not attend a class. I still have it, and it's helped numerous young captain wannabe's study for their license. I am not a fan of test prep classes, as their job is to pass you regardless of your knowledge. I am a big fan of learning how to drive a boat while studying for your license, after all, you need a year of driving a boat before you can take the test anyway, 2 years in the case of a tonnage license.

you need a year of driving a boat before you can take the test anyway....

You do not need ONE day driving a boat. You can serve as first mate and never touch the helm and get a Captain's license.

You do not need ONE day driving a boat. You can serve as first mate and never touch the helm and get a Captain's license.
Sorry, I meant need as in you need to do this before you have paying passengers whose lives you are responsible for, not need as in need to meet some silly requirement on paper.

Key West is full of paper tigers who show up to drive the boat with a shiny new license and no days at the helm. I bet you've seen one or two yourself. Maybe even hired one or two.

I bet you've seen one or two yourself. Maybe even hired one or two.

YES, and NO, Hell no.

Just remember:
New
Reels
Catch
Fish
So
Purchase
Some

Red over red, the captain's dead.

Sorry, I meant need as in you need to do this before you have paying passengers whose lives you are responsible for, not need as in need to meet some silly requirement on paper.

Key West is full of paper tigers who show up to drive the boat with a shiny new license and no days at the helm. I bet you've seen one or two yourself. Maybe even hired one or two.
In Greece you need a "fast boat" license for anything 10 meters or less. Before you take paying passengers, you have to have it for two years.

I haven't looked into the hours requirements yet.

I've had a boat now for 3 years on lake erie. 28' Wellcraft. Would love to eventually become a captain. I hate tests but I made it through my Instructor course. How does this compare and how long is the course?
The test is significantly more convoluted. Its multiple choice and any monkey can usually get it down to 2 possible right answers. Then it often gets really hard and your best bet is to re-read the question about 4 more times. The fast and easy read will lead you to one answer. The correct one is usually the tortured way to read the question. Subtle details are embedded in the questions which are written by the military afterall. If you gloss over them or arent practiced enough with the test prep to pickup on the nuance, you will probably chose the "better fitting" but wrong answer.

I studied from a study guide book and took the test at a CG exam center decades ago. My refresher courses with a school have been more social, more fun, and far easier. I would recommend the course.

The test is significantly more convoluted. Its multiple choice and any monkey can usually get it down to 2 possible right answers. Then it often gets really hard and your best bet is to re-read the question about 4 more times. The fast and easy read will lead you to one answer. The correct one is usually the tortured way to read the question. Subtle details are embedded in the questions which are written by the military afterall. If you gloss over them or arent practiced enough with the test prep to pickup on the nuance, you will probably chose the "better fitting" but wrong answer.

I studied from a study guide book and took the test at a CG exam center decades ago. My refresher courses with a school have been more social, more fun, and far easier. I would recommend the course.
At one time, you could download the test bank. I had a far easier time memorizing 10,000 test bank questions (and the wrong answers) than actually learning the knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom