How hard is it to replace Drysuit seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My LDS has a drysuit my size for sale cheep the only thing is it needs new seal I called the dealer and they quoted $250 to send it in and have it done, said it could take up to 6 weeks plus shipping time to Japan. But I also found out the seals by them self are $112 how hard are they to change?

I will let you know when mine come in the mail and I put them on.

DivingCRNA:
I will let you know when mine come in the mail and I put them on.
Is there another thread with this in there ar has no one done it?

It depends, but it is not brain surgery. If you get the right tools, the right tricks from experienced people, the right adhesive, it is rewarding.

What kind of suit?

I have a thread that I am posting my progress in, but I am waiting for the arrival of the seals.

It is in the DIY repair section.

About the best step by step instructions I've seen are on the OS Systems website...

http://www.ossystems.com/repair/repr.htm

They even sell all tools and adhesives, etc. I thought they used to have pictures as well. Maybe if you have a look through the site...

Jim

To replace my seals for less than you stated in your post. It took 3 day turn around and the cost of shipping. If your interested PM me for the contact name, website, and phone. Good luck doing it yourself.

Wrist seals.

Others may have better ways, but here is how I have done it successfully several times:

Carefully peal off the old seal. Sometimes heating with a hairdryer helps.

Clean off the old glue. Believe it or not, the best way to do this is to relax, take your time and roll it off with your fingers a bit at a time. Any chemical that breaks down the glue could break down the suit material. If all the old glue doesn't come off, that's usually OK.

Sand the area with a fine grit sandpaper. Clean the area with Cotol (bought where Aquaseal is sold).

Put something into the wrist opening that is firm and sticks out about 4 inches (I use a hard foam cut to size. My LDS uses a piece of PVC pipe with a layer of neoprene over it). Pull the seal over the form and onto to wrist area exactly where you want to glue it.

Place a piece of masking tape on the drysuit around the edge of the seal where it ends on the wrist (this is so the glue won't slop over, and it'll make a nice clean line at the seal's edge).

Fold back the seal over the form, exposing the area of the drysuit to be cleaned and the inside of the seal, also to be glued.

Lightly sand the surface of the seal to be glued and clean with cotol.

Brush on a thin, even layer of Aquaseal onto the wrist seal and the drysuit area up to the masking tape (use the 3-to-1 mix with Cotol for fast drying).

Let dry completely.

Brush on a second layer of Aquaseal. If you're not in a hurry, don't use the cotol mix.

Let the glue dry to a tacky touch and roll the seal back over the drysuit area. Go slow and roll even and you won't get any wrinkles. Press firmly

Allow to dry. Remove tape. Go diving!

Again, others will make possibly better suggestions, but this has worked for me.

Wow,
Nice job Rick you have done that once or twice!
A guy has a book out on it and even has dry suit zippers how too do,
That seems high for wrist seals,I get mine from a guy on e-bay for $15.00 a pair for the heavy duty ones! I will find his name and post, I think he has all types of seals.
Look up this guy for seals-- {Zeroviz53} ON E-BAY
The best price I have found for all styles of seals!
Dive safe,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom