How does your flat trim feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachhead

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm actually flat when I feel I'm diagonal. When I feel I'm flat, my lower body(legs) are actually higher than my body.

Just me?

I'm just the opposite, I feel flat with forward trim but in reality I'm nosing down a bit. Some people go as far as a mirror in the pool for this.
I just ask my teammates:wink:
Henry

FLDVR:
I'm just the opposite
Actually, your not.

If you cruise over a platform or a flat bottom a couple inches above the bottom, you'll notice if something is touching, do it enough and you'll be horizontal and you just have to accept that that is what it feels like.

Rachel

This is also one area where diving with buddies who know what to look for is useful. Your buddies can easily tell you when you're out of trim and you should give them the same courtesy. Remember that your teammates problems are yours as well. At a minimum you need to be aware of them; you might as well fix them while you're at it.

If you have chance to get in a large institutional pool, take advantage of it. Big pools have big horizontal bottoms.

Practice skimming the bottom without touching, you will develop a feel for horizontal trim.

Tobin

I can tell if my trim is horizontal by the squeeze of the drysuit. When I feel the bubble easily moving around on my back then I know that I am horizontal.

mtbrider:
I can tell if my trim is horizontal by the squeeze of the drysuit. When I feel the bubble easily moving around on my back then I know that I am horizontal.
Wow. I cannot feel a bubble moving on my back between my BP and my body. But I never tried.

I can usually tell if I'm outta trim by the disgusted head shake from my buddy when he looks over at me. :wink:

I suppose it's nice to have good trim in the pool, but I like working on it during a real dive. We take a lot of video of eachother and that helps.

Its funny that you comment about feeling the bubble in the back.
Yesterday I felt something on my back and I was not sure what the heck it was.
Now thinking back I do remember it going up and down as I changed my trim.
Thanks, Jim Breslin

This is one of the reasons I like doubles. I've actually been able to learn to FEEL the pressure of the rig on my back, and whether it's heavier in front or in back. A single tank just doesn't give me that kind of feedback. I've also found that, whatever information I'm using to "feel" correct trim, it has to be relearned with a different equipment configuration. When I dove in Mexico in a wetsuit and Al80 in March, I very much tended to go somewhat head-down. I had to get some feedback and then correct my internal map. It only took one dive, but I had to do it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom