how does it look this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, I stand corrected. This is my first time actually going through the effort of checking swell models. When I dive this weekend I'll be able to start correlating the models to actual conditions.

It's all good. Chuck's page compiles a lot of the useful information, including swells and tides, here: Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

When you learn how to read it, you start using it frequently. Then, after a while, you realize that unless it's over 12ft, there's almost always good shore diving somewhere in the area despite what the numbers show (meaning if you want to dive, you should always drive down and watch the surf with your own eyes to make a determination, NOT that you should always dive regardless of the predictions).

If you're boat diving, you're generally tied a lot more to the numbers.

Don't forget this site as well: divegenie.com

The site uses satellite, current, swell, temperature and other variables to predict viz. I use this with along side the swell models on Chuck T's site to make my go/no go decision.

My friend called and gave me a dive report of a whopping 4 feet of vis boat diving in Carmel. He didn't think the bay was much better.

I got off the phone with Glen's Aquarius, Break Water... Reports at the Metridiums is 15ft and at the wall 10-15 feet...

I will be at Break Water at 8-9am to dive with Vassili and Mainak... Anyone else want to join us...??

I got off the phone with Glen's Aquarius, Break Water... Reports at the Metridiums is 15ft and at the wall 10-15 feet...

I will be at Break Water at 8-9am to dive with Vassili and Mainak... Anyone else want to join us...??

I will be there around 10:30-11:00 to meet and setup for AOW class I'm helping out. Stop by and say hi if you see me!

I had 10' vis @ North Monastery Friday, with waves 1-2'. Second dive was along Breakwater, 15'+ vis at the end of the wall.

I'm glad I only live 40 minutes away, since I clearly can't read the weather models.

Hi Guys:

I don't mind the low visibility but how is the surge and wave action? Trying to test out some new gear, so probably be @ Breakwater. Crawling = no diving.

Thanks,
Claude

BW today: Waves are maybe 1-2ft on the shore (so no need to crawl). No noticeable surge.

About 5-10ft vis, with tons of sea nettles at the metridium fields and none along the wall.

First dive was a secret spot near Ballbuster. Vis was 25-30 on the bottom, but at 30 ft it was maybe 3-5 ft. LOTS of krill type stuff in the water column. NO jellies at at all on that dive.

Second dive was Deep Ledge, off of Del Monte beach, 95 ft deep or so, shale substrate with a (duh) ledge. Vis was 15-20 on the bottom, 3-5 ft at about 30 ft, but LOTS and LOTS of sea nettles.

Didn't even try to go to Carmel because of the bad vis reports.

Surgy on the first dive. Not so much so on the second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom