how does it look this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any reports guys and gals? we are planning saturday so hows proverbial "viz" :)?

Looks like it's going to be crap.

Swell report is around 7-8ft for monterey. I am still going though, even if we have to stay at breakwater!

Looks like it's going to be crap.

Swell report is around 7-8ft for monterey. I am still going though, even if we have to stay at breakwater!

Oh? Shouldn't be too bad. Nothing out of the ordinary on the horizon; 6-8ft swells outside the bay mean we're almost guaranteed to have lots of diveable locations throughout the bay and Carmel; I'd definitely make the drive down.

Vis of course has almost zero correlation to surface swells, so that's a wait and see game. Last weekend had lots of mixed reports (with, uncommonly, the bay being better than Lobos) and I suspect it'll be the same this weekend.

Yep thats what i think. Sunday we be at Lobos but on saturday , hmmm i call bay.

I'm hoping to snag a tank with the UCSC class at Breakwater on Saturday. Feel free to say hi!

6-8ft swells outside the bay mean we're almost guaranteed to have lots of diveable locations throughout the bay and Carmel

Sorry, I'm new at this. Why's that?

Also, as Chuck T. will be quick to point out, these numbers are taken from measurements 20+ miles outside of the bay. Especially for shore diving in Monterey/Carmel, they'll typically be much lower when translated into waves and protected cove swells inside the bay.

From what little I've seen, the super-calm 2-4ft swells we've had over summer has been atypically good.

Also, as Chuck T. will be quick to point out, these numbers are taken from measurements 20+ miles outside of the bay. Especially for shore diving in Monterey/Carmel, they'll typically be much lower when translated into waves and protected cove swells inside the bay.

From what little I've seen, the super-calm 2-4ft swells we've had over summer has been atypically good.

The coastal and marine forecast is for zero to ten nautical miles out,
in areas that aren't protected. Our dive sites get some protection.
PZZ560-012230-
PIGEON POINT TO POINT PINOS TO 10 NM-
906 AM PDT FRI OCT 1 2010

.TODAY...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT AT 17 SECONDS. PATCHY DENSE FOG.
.TONIGHT...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 4 TO 6 FT AT 16 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG.
.SAT...NW WINDS 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 6 TO
8 FT AT 15 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG.
.SAT NIGHT...NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW
SWELL 7 TO 9 FT. PATCHY FOG.
.SUN...NW WINDS 10 KT...INCREASING TO 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT
OR LESS...BECOMING 3 FT. NW SWELL 7 TO 9 FT. PATCHY FOG.
.MON...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 8 TO
10 FT. PATCHY FOG.
.TUE...N WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 8 TO
10 FT.

However the Navy's WW3 model shows Saturday worse than Sunday.

Haha, I stand corrected. This is my first time actually going through the effort of checking swell models. When I dive this weekend I'll be able to start correlating the models to actual conditions.

However there's also this (though it is highly experimental)
fm_mon_xxx.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom