How does fatigue affect feelings and/or narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure science understands very well whether the effects of gas narcosis, CO2 retention, and fatigue (did I miss any?) are inter-related or whether some are independent of others. But they all seem to be factors in whether you are impaired. The term "narcosis" is commonly used to refer to the anesthetic effect (Meyer-Overton hypothesis), but maybe it's presently impossible to separate out the various "impairment" factors.

In other words, I don't know the answer to the OP's question. :)

I'm not sure science understands very well whether the effects of gas narcosis, CO2 retention, and fatigue (did I miss any?) are inter-related or whether some are independent of others. But they all seem to be factors in whether you are impaired. The term "narcosis" is commonly used to refer to the anesthetic effect (Meyer-Overton hypothesis), but maybe it's presently impossible to separate out the various "impairment" factors.

I will disagree a slight bit, in that science has catogorized them as different events, however in an individual one may find it hard to differentiate the effect when one is experiencing more than one issue at a time. Also the scientific definition of the terms may be quite different than what is used in our conversation.

Looking back, I have experienced these events separately, as well as combined. That is why I refer to (nitrogen) narcosis and a CO2 hit as different events, although they both could be called narcosis in the general definition of the word. As far a fatigue goes, the medical definition has to do with lessening of actual physical ability, and may or may not include being tired, therefore just being tired may not actually be due to fatigue. One study referred to being tired as possibly due to decompression stress rather than fatigue as they studied Nitrox and fatigue.

And if you are not confused sorting this out, that makes one of us.

I will disagree a slight bit, in that science has catogorized them as different events, however in an individual one may find it hard to differentiate the effect when one is experiencing more than one issue at a time. Also the scientific definition of the terms may be quite different than what is used in our conversation.

Looking back, I have experienced these events separately, as well as combined. That is why I refer to (nitrogen) narcosis and a CO2 hit as different events, although they both could be called narcosis in the general definition of the word. As far a fatigue goes, the medical definition has to do with lessening of actual physical ability, and may or may not include being tired, therefore just being tired may not actually be due to fatigue. One study referred to being tired as possibly due to decompression stress rather than fatigue as they studied Nitrox and fatigue.

And if you are not confused sorting this out, that makes one of us.

But tired before any diving commences will not be decompression stress.

But tired before any diving commences will not be decompression stress.

The study, to prove Nitrox did not reduce fatigue, referred to in my example they concluded the the subjects were not tired from fatigue and posited another reason.

My point is that one may be tired without being fatigued. Without using a precise definition of fatigue, as scientists would use in a study, most people will equate fatigue and being tired.

Future readers of this thread should note that Scuba Client is a troll and/or idiot who was banned for posting silly things.

Narcosis is NOT just fatigue. It is actual inebriation due to nitrogen (and oxygen) becoming literal anesthetics at high partial pressures. The mechanism is not fully understood, and numerous factors affect susceptibility. Fatigue is a big contributor. But narcosis is absolutely a real medical phenomenon beyond just being fatigued.

He got banned again? How long this time? Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom