How does everyone travel with their camera gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, those Porter Cases are expensive. Does anyone have a cheap link to Pelican Cases?

Pelican cases and cheap is an oxymoron! Try Stormcases. They are as sturdy as Pelicans, don't weigh near as much and are cheaper.

Agree with Dee, Pelicans are half the wieght allowed.. I have on, actually 4, that as a newbie a few years ago, thought I MUST have them...

Now, I've changed the mind set.
I'll carry camera, gig storage device for carry on, and the rest in checkin. Bubble (small bubbles) wrapped most of the items and then wrap with clothes - t-shirts. I'm currently thinking of the soft dive bags as they're not as heavy which allows more "Stuff" to bring along... Although I haven't been out for a year or so, that's the current mind set... figure the rest in the check in can take it.. a little concerned with the strobes, but not enough to carry them... ;-)

Hmmm....I'll give the storm cases a look. I guess, I shoulda said CHEAPER link to Pelican cases...ebay is the best I've found so far. I usually carry all my gear on. And now with my new bad boy strobe, I'm thinking I want that near me too...ahh, such a wonderful hobby.

I pack my dive gear in a 80qt igloo. Camera gear is in a soft case I carry on board the plane. Actually it was for video equipment but it works great for cameras, strobes, etc. At the hotel the dive gear is transferred to a mesh dive bag and the assembled camera rigs are transferred to the igloo. The igloo becomes the wet storage and rinse.

---Bob

Kid....is your current backpack designed for photo equipment or just basically a bag with straps? The photo BP's will hold alot of stuff. Mine is a Delsey Pro and in it I can pack photo gear for both of us....
2 - C-5050/PT-15's, camera inside the housing since it's in carry-on
1 - ULCS digital tray, Infinity arm, Inon D-180 strobe
2 - battery chargers and 10 sets of NiMH batteries.
Fiber optic cables, maintenance kit (o-rings, grease, dessicant packs, tools, etc)
1 - laptop

Fully loaded it's close to 35#'s so depending on the airline, I may check the strobe and maintenance kit in the clothes bag, but it does all fit in the photo BP where there are padded dividers I can customise.

Dee:
Pelican cases and cheap is an oxymoron! Try Stormcases. They are as sturdy as Pelicans, don't weigh near as much and are cheaper.
The Storm cases are indeed half the price of the Pelicans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom