How does a diver get left behind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautilus life line en route. Cheap insurance, hope I've just thrown away $250. :)

Just remember, a Lifeline is great in countries that all use VHF radios and do provide additional tools to ensure you are not lost, however going to many third world countries or small pacific (and I suspect other small) islands, don't have a boat radio thus the Lifeline is effectively useless in these areas. In US, Europe, OZ and other countries where the rules force dive boats to have working VHF radios Lifelines are a good backup and not a waste of money. However if you have one, before you dive, ensure that the dive boat knows you have one and that the boat has a working VHF radio (preferred with DSC which shows your position if triggered), and they know what to do if you use your Lifeline.

In the case where locals do not have VHF radio, an EPIRB in a waterproof container may be required. Even though you have an EPIRB, that's also no guarantee that the country/island has a safety system set up that will ensure emergency services start looking for you, however at least your country of licence knows you are in trouble and there is a higher possibility of someone coming and looking for you over just using hope, a whistle and a DSMB.

Last edited:
Just remember, a Lifeline is great in countries that all use VHF radios and do provide additional tools to ensure you are not lost, however going to many third world countries or small pacific (and I suspect other small) islands, don't have a boat radio thus the Lifeline is effectively useless in these areas. In US, Europe, OZ and other countries where the rules force dive boats to have working VHF radios Lifelines are a good backup and not a waste of.....

In the case where locals do not have VHF radio, an EPIRB in a waterproof container may be ...

Thank you Peter . I had not thought about other countries, that's great info. I plan on talking with the captain of next boat and hopefully he/she will let me hail them to get a hands on experience .

Thank you Peter . I had not thought about other countries, that's great info. I plan on talking with the captain of next boat and hopefully he/she will let me hail them to get a hands on experience .

Thats a great plan. Practice is always good. Better to play with it and find a problem, than need it to save your life, and find it doesnt work.

Just remember, a Lifeline is great in countries that all use VHF radios and do provide additional tools to ensure you are not lost, however going to many third world countries or small pacific (and I suspect other small) islands, don't have a boat radio thus the Lifeline is effectively useless in these areas. In US, Europe, OZ and other countries where the rules force dive boats to have working VHF radios Lifelines are a good backup and not a waste of money. However if you have one, before you dive, ensure that the dive boat knows you have one and that the boat has a working VHF radio (preferred with DSC which shows your position if triggered), and they know what to do if you use your Lifeline.

In the case where locals do not have VHF radio, an EPIRB in a waterproof container may be required. Even though you have an EPIRB, that's also no guarantee that the country/island has a safety system set up that will ensure emergency services start looking for you, however at least your country of licence knows you are in trouble and there is a higher possibility of someone coming and looking for you over just using hope, a whistle and a DSMB.

Anyone consider buying a $60 handheld to give to the boat captain while you dive? Might be a good compliment to the Lifeline. Plus, the captain will always remember you and is unlikely to leave without you, since you made it a point to give them the radio.

Anyone consider buying a $60 handheld to give to the boat captain while you dive? Might be a good compliment to the Lifeline. Plus, the captain will always remember you and is unlikely to leave without you, since you made it a point to give them the radio.
Sorry, I'm new at this, what is this $60 handheld? Is a radio in case the one they have goes kaput?

... they don't always have one ... particularly in third world countries ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lol, if my plan dosent work and I lose my boat, and the boats radio doesn't work so my lifeline doesn't help I'm feeling like it's final destination and if I got on the boat it would sink ! So I'll stay within in my limits, plan my dive, dive my plan, and be safe...as I can. Scuba is not a safe sport, but I love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom