How do you want to die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
In a safety obsessed society that is killing the human spirit in favor of the illusion of security, and in a safety-obsessed sport that has made diving-related death and injuries a sin, the question is begged, when and how is it okay for a human-being to die? Are we destined for abusive care, neglected, in old age homes? Is longevity and quantity somehow better than quality and substance? Is age and disease the only respectable way to go?

Since we are all going to die one day, and since society gives us so many choices as consumers, but gives us less freedom in how we live our lives, if we could have the final freedom to choose where and how we die, what would you choose?

This post is not meant to be morbid, but rather a psychological poll and a look at the mindset of modern men and women. Diving is one way we've chosen to define ourselves in life. But, if the choice were ours to make, how would we define our lives by our deaths?

90 years old-shot in bed by a jealous husband

I watched my grandmother *suffer* from dementia and die in an old folk's home. I like to think in the deep recesses of her mind, she was in a happy place despite her depressing surroundings.

Personally, I care more about the *how* than the *when*. I'd rather die tomorrow in an oblivious, quick and painless fashion than live in a diminished state indefinitely.

Quality not quantity...

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like like my grandfather did not screaming as the car drives off a cliff like his passengers.

On my feet doing something enjoyable. I dont want to live forever. Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyways.

Damn--y'all took up all the funny answers!! That said, I think I'd modify DennisS's post and be shot by the jealous hubby when I'm 108. Ninety just seems so young these days! Meanwhile, I'm just living (and dying) in 3/4 time.

Not like I tried to do in September (in the ICU)

Not in a car (like my father did)

And most definitely not in a skilled nursing facility.

How about at 90 in the arms of my young lover after having watched a perfect fall sunset over my ocean?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom