How do you transport your DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ThinkTank "Security" bag is awesome: Airport Security

Holds my Canon 7D, two lenses, two dome ports, Nauticam housing, two Z240 strobes, two Sola 1200 lights, and all the extra hardware.

I did change my wide angle port from the 6 inch model to the new Zen 100 mm compact model, saved a lot of space in the bag.

M

I carry everything on. My SLR goes in my camera bag with extra lenses and camera care equipment as well as rechargeable batteries and the like.

I take the O-rings out of the strobes and housing and place them in a plastic bag to keep their form and prevent extra squeeze on them during the flight and also put them in my camera bag.

I then assemble the housing without the port attached instead putting in the insert that comes with the housing. This in turn gets wrapped in soft clothing or a towel, maybe a 3mm if I am diving someplace warm. The port itself I wrap in bubble wrap that I saved when I got the port, wrap a towel over that and also place in carry on. The tray, arms and strobes all fit nicely inside the same small carry on. I try not to pack too much on top and will typically put whatever sync cords I have in checked luggage. I try to keep everything snug but not jammed in with clothes because I have been to places where you end up on a puddle hopper and they pry the carry on out of my kung fu grip and check it which makes me very nervous that some baggage handler is going to drop it.

I was told that it is the sync cords that will often trigger a search of my bag by the TSA. When packing them in the the carry on my carry on bag with housing got searched 100% of the time which if packed too tightly with clothes would take some time to get everything back in.

If I put the wires in my checked luggage my carry on with housing now gets searched <50% of the time and my camera bag about 10% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom