How do you transport your DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ...

I was wondering what would be the best way to pack and transport a DSLR set up while flying? I am thinking of putting the camera in the housing and then putting the whole set up in pelican box. Or ... should I pack each part unassembled in the PB?

Don't put the camera in the housing for transport. I bent the shutter speed mechanism by unwittingly doing that and then got reamed by the Nauticam repair tech when it needed fixing. That's a major no no as the housing mechanisms aren't designed for that kind of abuse.

Do a search on SB, there are lengthy discussions on transporting UW photo gear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Let me tell you how I do it. The camera goes inside a Lowepro backpack (with lenses, some ports, charger), while the housing is inside a regular carry-on size suitcase. I also put clothes in the suitcase, good for padding.

I put the camera in the housing, then put the housing in a carry-on bag. I do this both to save space, and because I believe the camera is better protected this way. Never had a problem and have done this for a number of years.

I would NOT put the camera in the housing if it was in a bag the airport gorillas could get a hold of.

Camera's and lenses in a LowePro backpack, housing, ports and strobes in a Pelican wheely as hand baggage.

IMG_0495MB.jpg

IMG_0904C.jpg

I have on one occasion taken the housing all set up with camera and lens (macro only) in a back pack on a business trip when I knew I was getting a couple of dives in Jeddah last year. Ended up doing 5 dives and was cursing because I could have got some nice wide angle shots - Murphy!

Hello ...

I was wondering what would be the best way to pack and transport a DSLR set up while flying? I am thinking of putting the camera in the housing and then putting the whole set up in pelican box. Or ... should I pack each part unassembled in the PB?

Me personally... I put the strobes and arms in regular baggage, and put the camera inside the housing, and carry it on in a roller bag. A pelican box weighs 20 Lbs empty. It's a waste of baggage space IMO.

If you put your camera in the housing and lock it, would that not take the life out of your O rings? I was told that the less you compress you O rings the longer they last.

Let me tell you how I do it. The camera goes inside a Lowepro backpack (with lenses, some ports, charger), while the housing is inside a regular carry-on size suitcase. I also put clothes in the suitcase, good for padding.

LowePro also has a roller bag that can be used for a carry on.

Lowepro | Pro Roller x-Series[Features]/0/

Housing, dome, strobes, body, lens go Carry On, (roller), nicely wrapped in T-Shirts, Undies and socks. ULCS arms, tools, hardware in checked. Laptop, regulator in backpack.

If you put your camera in the housing and lock it, would that not take the life out of your O rings? I was told that the less you compress you O rings the longer they last.

You can remove the O-ring then close the housing.I store my housings(I have 3 Ikelite housings ,2 DSLR and 1 video) with the O-rings removed.I store the O-rings in a plastic baggy after they are cleaned and greased,I have used the same O-rings for several years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom