How do you test out fins before buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwaterjon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Fin preference is an obviously very subjective thing. I was wondering how people typical decide which fins to buy? Do any dive shops let you demo them? Or do you just have to steal your dive buddy's fins when he/she isn't looking? Or do you roll the dice and not test them out at all and buy them based on comments/reviews?

Thanks!

I did a combo of reading reviews and testing them out. I would think your dive shop would gladly let you try out what they sell. I tested out the two pair I own (Mares fullfoot fin and Scubapro Twin Jets) in the local quarry before I bought mine and am very satisfied with both.

Fin preference is an obviously very subjective thing. I was wondering how people typical decide which fins to buy? Do any dive shops let you demo them? Or do you just have to steal your dive buddy's fins when he/she isn't looking? Or do you roll the dice and not test them out at all and buy them based on comments/reviews?
Thanks!

Find a shop that lets you try them in the pool.

If you like any, buy them there.

Terry

i researched online, decided which fins i thought i was going to like, and got lucky that my dive shop carried them. they let me try them in their pool. i liked them, bought them.

The primary criterion when testing fins for one's own use is fit. Individual fin models are designed to accommodate a range of sizes, e.g. 8-10. Such a size range can mean that somebody with an 8 shoe size will find the fins on the big side, while somebody with shoes size 10 may find the foot pocket a little small. This sizing only takes foot length into account. Feet are of course three-dimensional, so the breadth of the sole and the height of the arch may be at odds with the length of the foot. Fins that are too tight will restrict circulation and generate cramping. Too loose and there's a danger of fins dropping off or at least raising blisters.

Like Malaysia and Russia, Germany has a National Standard for fins, DIN 7876 of October 1980. The bulk of the Standard is devoted to foot pocket sizing. The document stipulates which foot breadth should go with which foot length. Even so, the Standard allows a lot of leeway. And most fin makers ignore the Standard. So you would be wise to focus on getting a good fit for your own feet when choosing fins at the dive store. Finding a well-fitting pair of fins is something an odyssey. During half a century of snorkelling, I've located possibly half a dozen fin models that accommodate my feet comfortably. If you instantly find a pair that matches your feet dimensions exactly, you will have been very fortunate indeed. In all events, don't settle on a model or even a make of fins before you've solved the fit problem. Others may urge you to rush into purchasing a particular brand that suits them. Their feet are different from yours. If you intend wearing socks, booties or boots with the fins, put them on before you try on your fins for size.

Only when you've more or less sorted out several pairs that fit should you apply other testing criteria. Fins are worn for power, manoeuvrability or endurance, but not for speed. Few fins if any combine all three criteria in equal proportion, so be wary of claims about "universal" fins. It will take a while to discover which fins not only fit you precisely but also match your kicking style, stamina and the type of diving you are planning to do. It's not a process that can be rushed. Take your time.

Do your homework to narrow down the options, try them at the LDS if they'll let you, else (a) borrow a friend's pair to try out, (b) buy new and return if you don't like them (if allowed), (c) buy and take the hit (or re-sell) if you don't like them.

I've bought several pairs "Blind" without trying them. most of the time you're ok.

check your shops "buy and try" program. my LDS has a no hassle return policy if you don't like it and want to return it within the first 30 days.

Before you purchase a pair of high dollar fins try some others on. If you can, do this: go for a dive with a few other people who all have about the same size feet as you. During the dive, swap out fins for a few minutes with each other. If everyone has different brands and types (which is pretty typical nowadays) you will get a chance to see firsthand what works and what you don't like. I've done this with many divers that I take out on tours. We take a few minutes and head off in the sand and play with each others fins. By doing this many times I've completely convinced myself that the fins I am currently using are not only the best for me but they are the best ever made! I'm wearing Mor-Fins Delfins, size XXL and they outperform any fin I've used so far.

Back
Top Bottom