How do you signal air remaining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B

Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How do you signal your air pressure remaining to your dive buddy?
When I did my intro. dive in Roatan, the instructor did it in a way I have not seen since. She indicated thousands by splaying right hand fingers across her left arm, above the wrist , and then hundreds by holding up the corresponding number of fingers , again using her right hand.
I think it was/is easier to understand than the standard 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 3 = 2000 + 300
It looked simple, quick and was very easy to see how much air someone had left , with the 2 on arm + 3 fingers , to indicate 2300

DB

D_B:
How do you signal your air pressure remaining to your dive buddy?
When I did my intro. dive in Roatan, the instructor did it in a way I have not seen since. She indicated thousands by splaying right hand fingers across her left arm, above the wrist , and then hundreds by holding up the corresponding number of fingers on her right hand.
I think it was/is easier to understand than the standard 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 3 = 2000 + 300
It looked simple, quick and was very easy to see how much air someone had left , with the 2 arm + 3 fingers , to indicate 2300

DB

Using 2 hands gets to be a pain when holding lights, cameras, ... I still use what i was taught - one hand flashing 5+5+3. This also works (with a little less accuracy :)) when using 3 fingered cold water mitts.

StSomewhere ... Very simple idea , and I have done that as well , looked at others SPG , and shown my SPG
It sounds like a good idea to check to see if your buddy is correct on his air remaining ... you , or he, could have misscounted

DB

I was taught to use one hand. Hold hand up for numbers one through five and show fingers to the side for six through ten. Zero is made by showing a "O" with the hand.

To indicate 1270, I would show one finger up for "1" then two fingers up for "2" followed by two fingers held sideways to indicate "7" and then a "O" with my hand to indicate Zero.

All the divers I buddy with use this quite well. Shows great with blue dry gloves, I have to be careful with my black neoprene to make sure my hand is clear of my black drysuit.

Hydrophobic:
I was taught to use one hand. Hold hand up for numbers one through five and show fingers to the side for six through ten. Zero is made by showing a "O" with the hand.

To indicate 1270, I would show one finger up for "1" then two fingers up for "2" followed by two fingers held sideways to indicate "7" and then a "O" with my hand to indicate Zero.

All the divers I buddy with use this quite well. Shows great with blue dry gloves, I have to be careful with my black neoprene to make sure my hand is clear of my black drysuit.

Same way I do it, works well..........

same as hydro -- 1-5 put fingers straight up and 6-9 turn fingers to the side. 0 is a closed fist or make and "o" with hand.

I was taught to point at the air gauge to show you want to announce pressures, and then just spell out each number so 2500 would be: 2 fingers, 5 fingers, 1 "O" shape, 1 "O" shape. Although that requires two hands, so showing each other the gauge works alot easier.

All a good example of why reviewing common, basic hand signals before the dive is so important. We have seen here that even the simple signal for how much air I have is done/taught differently in various places around the globe.

Back
Top Bottom