How do you shop for air and hotel package discounts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had deals come in many different forms to Cozy. One trip was where my LDS had a great deal. Apple vacations has also worked well for me. Orbitz can work at times as well. The tricky part for me is whether Frontier Airlines, my local discount airline with direct flights to Cozy is working with those brokers or not.

If not, I've found I can do as well or better booking my dives/hotel together through the dive shop and then book my flight directly with the airline.

I'll pay a premium for a direct flight. Just eliminates much of the risk, whether it be lost luggage or schedule delays, and getting through customs back here in Denver is much easier than Houston or Dallas.

Don - we have a completely different way of shopping for dive travel.
Back when Ron was still active duty AF, we had a tight budget and so we did look for cheapest deal for everything. Now that he is retired and making a real salary plus his mil retirement check :wink: we make our choices by what will be the best vacation, best value, not necessarily the cheapest. We are now able to do more than one trip per year, also.
Sure, I still do lots of research online, look at deals on all the major dive travel agency websites: Caradonna, Bay Adventures, Island Dreams, etc. but I also look at websites for specific resorts that meet our particular needs. Going to a resort that is $400pp cheaper than another does not hold the same meaning for us now - we evaluate the differences and decide. Price is not the determining factor.

robin:D
Great! :thumb: The theme for this thread is finding the best discounts, but ok thanks still. I bet many readers would also enjoy another thread on enjoying the most with the wealth to dispense maybe.
I go thru this with my wife all the time. "You could have gotten a room for $20 cheaper", but I want that full ocean view and breakfast overlooking the ocean, and other amenities which I am willing to pay for. For me it's not all about the diving, but sitting on that balcony post dive with an ice cold beer watching the ocean.
Okay, till the next dive.
Oh njones259, I have used ITA for over 10 years, it is great software program.
Great! :thumb: The theme for this thread is finding the best discounts, ok. Of course one needs to be happy with one's selection and I have no interest in sleeping in a North Carolina bunkhouse with 8 others, so I will agree - focus of search if the primary decision, to be reviewed again at end after comparing. $20/night for two for the room preferred is great, for my next package I did opt for $9/night per person in private room for the superior room - but I booked a 3 star hotel for $14/night, $23/night upgraded private room with no snoring competition with my buddy vs the $100/night shared hotel we've used in the past. $161 each for upgraded private room vs $350 each for shared room is more the subject at hand; if I had a wife or GF going, it'd be be $23/night for the pair vs $100/night - but if she really wanted to see the channel below her balcony, then the extra $539 total might be worth it to fit the preferences - depending on variables.

I wanted to organize a discussion on the best ways to accomplish what many newbies ask for while still getting over the purchases of their new gear and all, but this is fun too - as long as you don't mind me trying to steer this back to the original subject, as this question keeps coming up as it did on the Aug thread described in post 1.
I've had deals come in many different forms to Cozy. One trip was where my LDS had a great deal. Apple vacations has also worked well for me. Orbitz can work at times as well. The tricky part for me is whether Frontier Airlines, my local discount airline with direct flights to Cozy is working with those brokers or not.

If not, I've found I can do as well or better booking my dives/hotel together through the dive shop and then book my flight directly with the airline.

I'll pay a premium for a direct flight. Just eliminates much of the risk, whether it be lost luggage or schedule delays, and getting through customs back here in Denver is much easier than Houston or Dallas.
By direct I think you mean the non-stop flight from Denver, and yeah must be nice for those who can originate at hubs. Never had that luxury where I live.

Well, the Open Several Tabs To Compare is still a good suggestion I think. Sometimes Apple wins I guess, sometimes others. I used to think I could do best booking my dives/hotel together through the dive shop and then book my flight directly with the airline until I tried the other way for several tests and after a few dozen failures in a row - kind of lost faith in that believe. You probably don't want to change, but for the new shopper looking for ideas that fit the trade title, it wouldn't hurt to compare bottom lines on dives/hotel together through the dive shop and then book the flight directly with the airline vs air & hotel packages with the suggested sites plus dives in real, actual examinations.

Well, post 12 and this thread is more of a discussion on whether one should try to look or not, but maybe it will serf some usefulness in common with the original theme.
thanks for playing all...!

Last edited:
...first check airfare using ITA software.When you go into the search engine look up in the right hand corner and check month long search.When you find the cheapest days to fly...

Thanks a lot. I was not aware of ITA before. Now I know my tickets to Roatan went down $150 in the two weeks since I made the reservation. :depressed:

When using multiple search sites I have found you pretty much need to take each site to the "ready to book" part. They all add the fees in differently and that is how far I usually go to get the real "bottom line".

Another thing to consider, is pay attention to what's included vs what you are paying extra for on other sites. Applevacations is not always the cheapest, but all their bookings include round trip land transfer. Which is usually over $100 (for a family of 4) and needs to be factored in when comparing.

I also look at booking airfare seperately vs in the package, but it almost always seems to be a better deal to buy it all bundled.

I agree on looking for best deal, and not always the cheapest. There are always cheaper hotels, but you have to read the reviews and look at the pics and make a decision for yourself. Just remember, someone out there will always really hate the hotel, and someone else will really love it. No matter how good or bad it is. I am always willing to ignore one or more really whiny review or blindly loving it review.

Thanks a lot. I was not aware of ITA before. Now I know my tickets to Roatan went down $150 in the two weeks since I made the reservation. :depressed:
You should be able to get a partial credit, at least $100 I think. Good luck.

BTW, while it's different, I continue Sidestep.com fare alerts even after I buy a ticket, like to Roatan where it is common to buy air separate and book hotel and diving together, for that reason - except right now many are getting all three in a discount package. See threads on Bay Islands forum for more info.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy trip insurance?

Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy trip insurance?
I use Travel Safe as they seem very competitive in rates and comprehensive in coverage, but you may want to start with InsureMyTrip.com | Quote | Help to see a very long list of comparisons and narrow choices down from there. Slide to the far right to input your info and let it show costs on all.

Again, comparing on multiple open tabs can help in shopping.
I like Bookit, too
I see Sidestep suggesting them a lot when I run shopping searches. It mighty be good to bookmark and compare to others when using multiple open tabs comparisons.

I have used Hotels and Vacation Reviews - TripAdvisor to search for the resort that I want to stay at and then search the internet for the best price (Here is a link to reviews of resorts on Cozumel: Cozumel Hotels: Read Cozumel Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor). We even used tripadvisor to locate a hotel in Cairo as well as a personal guide for a trip that we took in 2008 (also did a week of diving in the Red Sea). The hotel and guide were fantastic. Trip Advisor is a great source of information.

I have used most of the search engines that everyone else has mentioned but before I book I give Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483 a call and find out their price. I have booked four vacations through Al Bay (the owner) and have always been satisfied with the service I received. If I have found a cheaper price online, he will try to match it. He books both the airfare and resort and diving if you want to include it. I always go with my own dive op, Adventure Discovery, operated by Luis Cabannas. He provides personal service and is very safety conscious.

Regards,

Bill

DandyDon - you rock! Every year when us gals begin planning our dive trip I come here and get all the latest "DandyDonisms" :wink:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, ideas, links... you've not only saved us time and money, but you educate and entertain along the way. Seriously, we benefit from your hard work and expertise and we appreciate it!

At the end of our process, when we finally hit the "buy" button we feel pretty darn secure that we've done our homework and will be off to a great vacation at a fair price. Three years running we have had spectacular vacations and we're excited for August in Roatan :D

Hope to get the opportunity and honor of maybe running into you somewhere along the travels. Here's to great trips with good friends!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom