How do you secure your Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that is exactly how I lost my flashlight:) It held up great for a few months and then one day it wasn't there. I posted about it and was suggested superglu or zip ties. I figured why not both.

Maybe it's overboard... but I haven't lost anything else!
I do the super glue on the knot backup too. Like after the knot is done then squish super glue everywhere.

A bungee with a small boltsnap on it works. Just give the bungee a couple wraps around the anchor line and then clip it off to itself like you would if you were tying off a reel and leaving it.
This is exactly how I did mine. The bungee allows it to easily fit on many different sizes and shapes easily

You guys must tie better knots than me. I lost something once, now I tie the knot, soak it in superglue gel, then put a zip tie on it. Maybe overboard, but I don't ever want to look down at just a bolt snap again....
Just last weekend I had the pin in the shackle bolt snap come off of my dive rite reel..... luckily I was able to find the reel and a bolt to replace the pin. I put loc-tite on it then torqued it ridiculously.

For my LM strobe, I put a thick piece of bungee through the hole in the strobe and through a big bolt snap and tied it using double Fisherman's Knots. Basically, the same way you make a bungee necklace, but then pulled tight. Like this:

This gives me the flexibility to just clip it to a chain with the bolt snap, or to pretend the bolt snap isn't even there and use a Prusik Knot to hold it on a line.

Or I could even do the Prusik and then put the end through the bolt snap and clip it off, kind of the way you secure a cave line with a bolt snap when doing an end of line tie-off, for even more security.

Whatever you do, just remember when you clip it off to put it higher, rather than lower. If the chain/line it's clipped to sags and results in the strobe laying on the bottom, it can make it really hard to see...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom