How do you rate Wetsuit Brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at purchasing a 7mil suit, interested in what others think about the following brand names. I know that fit, comfort, and dryness, may vary from person to person and the most important thing is fit. However, I'd be interested in the opinions of others as it relates to "are any of these brands, just completely junk" or "are any of these brands head and heels over the others". Obviously, everybody's opinion are like "noses" everybody has one and they smell. But, I sill would like to hear your thoughts.

Pinnacle
Oceanic
Oneill
Akona
Tilos
Mares
Bare
Henderson

S. Nagel

I have a Cressi Subb semi dry 7 MM one piece that is awesome. I can wear it in water temps to 50 degrees with no problem.

I also have a Tilos 7 MM one piece that is pretty good but not as warm as the Cressi Subb.

I also have a Deep Sea 7 MM farmer john that is pretty decent but not as "dry" as the two above.

All seem to be good quality but the CS was the most expensive and seems the sturdiest.

nagel

Like most dive gear divers will rate what served them well on the last dive as the best. Additionally precious few individuals have a diverse enough experieince base to compare much more than 2-3 brands with first hand information.

As you should have read over and over the 3 most important things about a wwetsuit are fit, fit and fit. The human race is hugely variable in size and proportion. The cut of one brand or model may fit better than anyting else offered by another brand. In other words for a personal decison brand is often irrelevant.

Personally I have had very good luck with the numerous Bare items that I own. They had designs,featues and quality that I like and the price point is very reasonable in comparrison. Thermally I hold my own and then some but where the suit ends and my tolerance begins is an individual mystery.

I have buddies diving Hendersons and they hold up good as well. For the suit style I prefer Hendderson is not even in the game so does that make them bad?

Within Henderson you have a plethora of suit models from the basic to hyperstretch to insta-dry eyc. and while some swear by them others will swear at them.

Many of these brands have little or no local distriubution in my case so it's either a significant shopping trip or playing mail order roulette. Does that make any of them lesser brands? No it does not but it makes them of little use to me.

I have seen good things said about each brand you listed so I don't think you will find any widely considered to be junk. Some models are more robust than others and some have had bad years but overall they are quality items. Pinnacle seems to have some unique albeit pricey stuff happening.

Pete

I have owned Aquaflite (1), Henderson (4), ScubaPro (1), Tilos (1), and Xcel (3)wetsuits. From a quality (durability and fit combined) standpoint I would rate Xcel first, ScubaPro and Aquaflite tied for second, then Henderson and Tilos last.

Jackie

SCUBA MAX has served me well also. So what if its not "name brand" im as warm as you and it lasts just as long.

I have 2 diffrent Akona 2 peice wetsuits a 3mm and a 6.5mm I really like them and they have served me well so far. I think they are a good product for a great price.

nagel:
Looking at purchasing a 7mil suit, interested in what others think about the following brand names. I know that fit, comfort, and dryness, may vary from person to person and the most important thing is fit. However, I'd be interested in the opinions of others as it relates to "are any of these brands, just completely junk" or "are any of these brands head and heels over the others". Obviously, everybody's opinion are like "noses" everybody has one and they smell. But, I sill would like to hear your thoughts.

Pinnacle
Oceanic
Oneill
Akona
Tilos
Mares
Bare
Henderson

S. Nagel

S. Nagel: Just one biased opnion. I own about six wetsuits including three of the above brands. I rate them: Pinnacle, O'Neil, Bare, Oceanic, Akona, Mares, Tilos, Henderson. Try on for fit, look close for quality seams, fit and finish, continue to ask friends and other divers for advice. Good luck for lots of safe diving.

Don't forget Harvey's brand, well-made wetsuits.

nagel:
Looking at purchasing a 7mil suit, interested in what others think about the following brand names.l

Different brands seem to be cut for different body shapes. Locally here is So California I's guess that 1/2 oe more of all divers use Body Glove. It is a top brand but not sold i the smaller shops due to BG's huge unit minimum order size. I buy the BG suits when they go on sale and spend about $160 for a 7mm full suit. BG qualitis like Bare. I can not fit into any O'Neal.

BTW Both O'Neal and Body Glove both claim to have invented the idea of the neoprene wetsuit at about the same time in the Early 1950's. Both companies started very close to where I live in Redondo Beach.

A company might make more then one style too using different materials. material matters more then the brand name. All the suits are made overseas in Asia. but materials matter. The ones that stretch the most also are also not as long lasting and not as warm at deppth. The reason is they simply blow more gas in to the neoprene so they get more air and less rubber to make a softer material. Surprizingly the cheaper suit might be warmmer IF it fits. But the softer suitmight fit better unless you have the same body shape as the model they made the suit for. Confussed yet?? Bottom line is that you have to try on a bunh of them and no brandis better then any other

Back
Top Bottom