How do you protect yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm currently carrying one knife... a tiny little nothing knife on the inside of my leg that has a line cutter. I bought it for ab diving because I'm intensely paranoid about entanglement when I don't have an air source, and wanted an arm knife.

I'm waiting to replace the support on my usual knife, which is a 7" Wenoka chrome plated stainless steel knife from the 70s (was my mom's when she dove). It works quite nicely as a scallop prybar, tank banger, line cutter, kelp excavator, and surge deflector (stick in sand and hold on). Most importantly, it looks totally bad*** strapped to my leg, and I get to tell onlookers (who inevitably ask if I saw Jaws) that I use it to wrassle 60' thought-extinct megladons that want to chow my gear.

Haven't fought anything with it that I can recall, though this past weekend, I did sustain a nice injury from the true terror of the sea: the large, angry red rock crab, and I was tempted to poke him with it, but restrained myself (and didn't have the knife with me).

I've seen two sharks... a 1' horn shark whose primary threatening manuever was looking too cute to mess with, and the silhouette of a ~3.5' shortfin mako who couldn't have been less interested in me if it were dead.

I'm digging the WASP though... I like how the shark in the picture appears to be minding its own business when it gets stabbed... the diver has to stretch up to reach the poor critter. Next thing you know, they'll be a special website for sharks: "Protect yourself from unprovoked diver attacks! With our compressed gas tooth injection system, you can freeze AND embolize the rubber suited menace BEFORE he gets a chance to shove a hydraulic knife into your abdomen for no reason".

Better than the old bangsticks I suppose. "Directions: Identify that shark is in attack position. Politely ask shark to wait while you load bangstick. Load bangstick. Find buddies, position behind you so blast from bangstick does not cause eardrum rupture (that one is actually in the directions). Tell shark it may resume attacking. Wait for shark to come close enough to touch tip of bangstick to shark. Blow up shark. Exit water before resulting discharge from bangstick draws more sharks."

I think anything in the ocean that you'd have to defend yourself against is going to get you if it wants you. As far as other creatures go, the best defensive weapon is that thing between your ears. That goes for on land as well as underwater. Be smart, be safe, play nice.

Back
Top Bottom