How do you prevent sunburns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get a tropical hood. I 'presently' tend to dive in very warm sunny places most days & find it odd most don't don a hood or some other covering. Especially full time instructors. It takes a little getting used to but well worth it IMO. The light lycra hood is even conformable when its in the mid 90s. I just dip it in water before putting it on. Also makes it easier if you venture into diving dry/cold as you get used to a hood. One more plus, hair is not an issue with your mask.

I need to consider the Lycra hood thing in the summer to protect my widdle earz.
Excellent idea! Why in the heck did I never think of that?

I use Bullfrog clear, non-greasy, alchohol based (dries instanly), sweat and waterproof, in a non-aerosol pump-spray bottle. Maybe you're just allergic to your hood-with-a-latex-skin-around-the-face.

Bullfrog Quick Gel is what I typically wear on workays.
I put it on prior to leaving home and reapply at midday.

What do you guys do to prevent getting sunburned in the eyes after long surface swims? I find that if I'm diving the whole weekend, my eyes end up all itchy. It seems that scuba goggles don't have UV protection...at least it seems the hydro optix goggles don't. I guess the majority of divers aren't doing a lot of surface swims.

I do a LOT of surface swims on shore dives.
Sometimes I find myself on top for over an hour kicking.
I wear a Sea Vision prescription mask with magenta lenses for daytime dives.
Its like wearing sunglasses.
Soothing and the red lenses really do not seem to affect me, actually they seem to also cut glare, and I live in polarized lenses down here.

Chug
Needs new glasses really really soon.

I have taken to using some neutragena aerosol 100spf that claims all right things for 1) preserving my skin and 2) preserving my latex wrist seals. That and a hat.

I live in Mendocino, you're kidding right? :wink:

I'm diving in Monterey, CA and the part of my face not covered by the hood (face) gets really sunburned in like an impressive amount of time.

I never had the problem even when I lived in San Diego, and I burn like a lobster. I do a lot of freediving up here. I can only assume my face isn’t out of the water long enough. Are you getting burned on surface swims or hanging around on the boat or beach between dives? Do you use a snorkel?

What do you guys do to prevent getting sunburned in the eyes after long surface swims? I find that if I'm diving the whole weekend, my eyes end up all itchy. It seems that scuba goggles don't have UV protection...at least it seems the hydro optix goggles don't. I guess the majority of divers aren't doing a lot of surface swims.

I never thought about eyes and sun exposure previous to this this thread, but then again I dive with contacts. The contacts claim to have UV protection. An unexpected benefit for diving with contacts.

I have taken to using some neutragena aerosol 100spf that claims all right things for 1) preserving my skin and 2) preserving my latex wrist seals. That and a hat.

That's the same stuff I use but I still end up with a read face. Especially under my eyes.

I live in Mendocino, you're kidding right? :wink:

I never had the problem even when I lived in San Diego, and I burn like a lobster. I do a lot of freediving up here. I can only assume my face isn’t out of the water long enough. Are you getting burned on surface swims or hanging around on the boat or beach between dives? Do you use a snorkel?

I am getting it on surface swims. I'm assuming I'm getting the reflector effect from the water.

I am getting it on surface swims. I'm assuming I'm getting the reflector effect from the water.

It might be some sun, but I'll bet there's some ice cold face freeze and cold water burn going on too. Sometimes when I dive on a sunny day it seems that the combo of ice cold water freezing my face then getting my face out in the sun repeatedly can have a greater affect with a red flushed face and what seems like a sunburn. If I was to expose my face out in the sun for the same period of time without diving I don't get that affect.

Are you wearing a mask during surface swims? Supposedly, you can't get sunburned through automobile glass. I don't know if that's applicable to scuba glass.

Use a snorkel on surface swims. Put just enough air in your BC so you don’t sink; which should be little more than the difference in weight between a full and empty tank. Surface swims with your face underwater are lot more interesting, especially in Monterey. Perhaps this thread will be useful:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/snorkeling-freediving/329614-hellpp.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom