How do you personalize your markers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I make my own from Delrin with my initials cut into them.

Hello Devilscrowndiver,

After 25 years of mostly wreck diving around the UK, I'm going to get some cave instruction later this year. At the moment I'm reading forums to get some background knowledge.

I know what arrows and cookies are for, but what's the purpose of your beautifully made rectangular marker?

Regards,

Russ

Its a non-directional directional marker, which sounds a bit odd so follow me on this.

You have directional markers - Arrows
Non directional markers - cookies
Non directional directional marker is a cookie that is marked or created such that it gives information to you but not to others. i.e. Being lopsided you could orient it such that the larger side always points out of the cave. The person placing it know this, but anybody else coming accross it, it just looks like a cookie.

Its a non-directional directional marker, which sounds a bit odd so follow me on this.

You have directional markers - Arrows
Non directional markers - cookies
Non directional directional marker is a cookie that is marked or created such that it gives information to you but not to others. i.e. Being lopsided you could orient it such that the larger side always points out of the cave. The person placing it know this, but anybody else coming accross it, it just looks like a cookie.

KMD,

Thanks for this.

All the best,

Russ

I personalize my markers so that I can recognize them by look and feel.

Look - wrote my name on the markers

Feel - double notches on the base of the arrow

BTW - if rhinestones fall off the arrow they become trash in the cave

So far, in my very limited cave diving experience, I've found part of a broken line arrow at JB and a poor lonely cookie that got left behind at the entrance to Twin...

...haven't found any rhinestones yet! :D

I've been diving with my rhinestone-studded cookies/arrows for about 30-40 dives so far...not one has come off or even worked it's way loose. Probably more risk of losing the arrow than the rhinestone coming off :wink:

I want to find some diamonds one day... but that's just wishful thinking.. feel free to encrust diamonds on yours so that someday I come out of the cave a very happy diver...

I simply drilled 2 holes in mine and wrote my name on them with permanent marker. I know they are mine, someone else knows they are not theirs, and in the event the other person CAN read then they know they are mine also.

I follow same idea, look and feel, in my case, initials ("BJ") in waterproof black ink (my markers are usually white, bright yellow or light green, so black is well visible in all of them. For feel I make 2 small holes very near so the for an 8 shape, in the case of directional markers the 8 is always in the opposite side of the pointed direction (for example, back part of the arrow).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom