How do you pack your rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently received a SeaLife DC800 (yea I know simple simon camera) my question is for those of you that travel occationnally and don't have National Geographic funding your gear, how do you pack you camera?

I would think that underwater camera manufacturers would provide travel cases for their products that fit correctly.

Pelican Case and LowePro backpacks...
Once I did this dive in Sal Island, Cape Verde Rep.
We had to swim like 50m to the inflatable (a big one at least w/ 2 engines) and I had a Hugyfot housing, but wanted to change lenses in between the dives...
I set up my housing for the first dive, put everything I needed for the second dive (lenses, ports...) in a Pelican 1550, placed the housing on top of the floating pelican and pushed it as I swan to the boat!!! I wish I had a picture of that!!!

Pelican case small enough to carry on yet large enough to fit my housing strobe and the cables. My camera goes in the wife's purse.

Camera, housing and strobe in Pelican case which fits into a rolling backpack carry-on. Also in the carry-on go dive computers, dive lights, battery charger and if I don't have my wife, also my mask and reg. One time I put all that into a carry-on that didn't have wheels. We had a very long walk from the gate to out of the airport and I swore I would never carry that stuff again without wheels.

Agree with above.

The Pelican 1510 model is accepted as a carry-on by FAA standards. It holds most everything mentioned above. Plus a backpack for the excess stuff.

The 1510 is available on Ebay for around $125 new. Lists for over $200.

For a camera that size, I used to take out the O-Ring, place the camera in a bubblewrap bag and just take it in my handcarry/backpack/reg bag.... Did the same with the strobe. Sometimes, all I did was to use a rubber band to tie a piece of bubblewrap over the port to prevent scratching.

These days with a DSLR, I bought the lightest Samsonite handcarry (with 4 wheels). I put almost everything there. Camera, lenses and laptop go in my backpack. I simply cannot trust airlines to handle and not lose my camera stuff.... The 4 wheeled samsonite moves around effortlessly and does not attract attention. It looks light. I find that those with Pelican cases tend to get weighed before boarding and told to check their gear.....I would feel safe checking a Pelican when it comes to handling issues but worry about theft. Pelicans and Storms scream "expensive gear inside"

I recently took my housing with me on a trip (Canon WP-DC17 for SD870 Powershot).

I took a pill bottle and cut off one face. I took some gaffer tape (cloth tape with non-residue glue) and taped that over the lens area of the housing.

I closed the housing, figuring 2-3 days being closed won't flatten the o-ring (it didn't) and put it inside a very thick cotton sock.

Put the whole thing in my backpack.

I'm going to try tonight to put the whole thing in my facemask case and see if it fits lol.

Back
Top Bottom