How do you like the computer you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which computer do you own? How do you like it? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? If it has a PC interface, how do you like the software? Did you previously own a different computer? Why did you change and do you like your new one better?

:D

Have a Suunto Viper.....
After I got certed, I went to the LDS and asked for a good computer.... not the most expensive and not the cheapest. I wanted something that they were willing to stand behind.

I have nothing to compare it to.....but it's easy to read and it gives me the info I need.....andthat's what is important!

Phil

Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus. Bought it last year as part of my first gear. Love it. I like the fact that it adjusts for altitude automatically. My buddy has a Suunto Cobra, and forgot to adjust the altitude when we went from Lake Tahoe to sea level. Needless to say, his computer was reduced to a bottom timer for the week, as it was bent on the first dive. I like the display, and the compass mounting, and the quick disconnect. So far, the only thing I don't like, is the fact that on Nitrox dives, it uses a max PPO of 1.60, and I can't change that. The Cobra is adjustable.

I have the Suunto Cobra and a Mosquito for back-up, My wife and son have the Cobra too. These were part of our original gear purchases.
We all like it a lot!!! Never have had any problems.
We have the quick disconnect and the PC interface.
I really like the Suunto Dive Manager.
All of our dives are logged on paper and on the PC.

The only thing I could see me liking better is maybe the Vytek, with a Stinger for backup. :wink: (don't even mention that to my wife):wink:

Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus

Very happy with this one. My wife chose the Aeris 500 AI, but I think their the same computer, however I like the Oceanic layout better. I really, really, really, wanted the Cobra, however everyone talked me out of it, vs. the Oceanic and the Aeris. I think all three are great!

I like it very much and in most cases I find it more than sufficient.

Not to say that if I was working with a different budget I would not go with something else...

Ari :)

Originally posted by triggertravel
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus

Very happy with this one. My wife chose the Aeris 500 AI, but I think their the same computer, however I like the Oceanic layout better. I really, really, really, wanted the Cobra, however everyone talked me out of it, vs. the Oceanic and the Aeris. I think all three are great!

Why did you really really really want the Cobra? The differences between that and the Aeris are:

Cobra is smaller, has more memory and better software, is more conservative.

The Aeris has a much bigger more intuitive display and is easier to operate (buttons easier to push with gloves on). But has less divelog memory and though I haven't seen the software, I hear it is not as good as the Suunto. The Aeris is more liberal -- at least on first dives.

Am I right? What were the reasons for your choice?

ET

Am I right?

As a gauge it's fine, as a computer it's marginal at best. Deco algorythm wants you to do all your deco very shallow and gives you a lot of deco.

Tom

My wife and I have Oceanic Versa Pros (the navcon model). So far, we're been pretty pleased with them. I like the simplicity of the user interface (two button), and the size and appearance of the computer face itself.

The only issue we have with the computer is that the clear plastic protector over the computer face tended to trap bubbles on our last dive (in 94 degree silty water). This necessitated shaking the computer around a bit, but once the bubbles were dislodged, all was OK.

Has all the features we were looking for (including Nitrox) - about the only thing it was missing was air integration. If you're interested in it, theres a pretty cool demo on their web page (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com) that mimics the operation of the computer - this is what really sold me on it.

As far as software goes, I just received a copy (been waiting for the software to be released ever since I bought the computer about 6 months ago). Unfortunately, the installation process totally trashed my Windows NT machine (which the software claims to support). Tech support will be receiving a nasty call on Monday. :( The software CD itself contained versions of the software (called OceanLog) for many of their other computers as well - not sure if there are any major differences per model of computer. The data cable plugs into the side of the computer, so you don't have to remove it from the boot to transfer data.

All in all, we've been really happy with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom