How do you learn your narcosis depths? Gas switches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many stories of people being quite incapacitated at considerable depths on air. I know of a few at "just" 180 feet. I also know of some extremely experienced scuba divers who just don't feel comfortable deep and therefore won't dive deep.

If I were to jump into the water and go to 180', I have a good idea that I would be more impared than I want to be, or that I'm used to now, so I wouldn't go unless I had to. What @Akimbo said about organization and preparation is key to staying safe deep. I was trained to look at it as a job, not recreation as one thinks of diving within rec limits, probably because those I learned from did commercial diving as well. This ment that there was an objective and actual dive plan so one could determine if things were going wrong. Actually it's more like things going not right, and if the issue can't be figured out quickly one has to leave to sort it out, a commercial diver on surface supplied has much more time and someone to talk to.

I’d love to see those saying “I can mamage at 180ft on air, I built up tolerance” performing non-trivial skill for which they do not have muscle memory (trimming liftbag neutral, learning new knots, cutting self from serious entaglement) on air on camera.

I’d love to see those saying “I can mamage at 180ft on air, I built up tolerance” performing non-trivial skill for which they do not have muscle memory (trimming liftbag neutral, learning new knots, cutting self from serious entaglement) on air on camera.

There's a lot of YouTube videos on the Andrea Doria. The great majority were shot on air. Lots of people have made over 100 dives on her and returned with images, china, and brass.

Where would you like me to send the footage,

Thump thump thump thump

What's that sound I say to myself . . .oh yes

If your doing it right (hehe, DIR air diving to 60m) you are not using liftbags for neutral buoyancy and learning new knots while going that deep, and cutting yourself from entanglement is a purely muscle memory skill at any depth (or arm flailing if you never practice reaching/removing gear).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom