How do you get better, when you're always following a group leader

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good day everyone,

How do you get better at buoyancy, air consumption trim, kicking ect, if you are always following an instructor or a dive master in the water.

If you are a single guy like my self you are probably have been on a couple of Dive vacations where you you get told to follow the leader and you get paired with an insta buddy if you and your buddy brake off from the group, I get scolded by the DM later on being out of sight.

Or in another situation I got scolded by an instructor because I was moving to much in the water. Basically it was one of those situations where the more she told me to relax I became less relaxed, kind of a catch 22 situation.

I feel better now because the current outfit I’m going out doesn’t have a dive master in the water, this means the biggest gains I have made in comfortably in the water have actually come from when, I was paired with somebody random, with no stress to swim HERE or DO THIS, or LOOK AT THIS, it’s been a good experience because it’s forced me preplan and execute dives, think and communicate critically of my buddy and his/her gear and diving style and how it compares to mine. I can also swim at my own pace.

I have been lucky in that since. Because I have met some great people. YouTube videos and these threads have also been great informative sources.

But, back to my original food for thought question. How do you improve your diving skills if your always stuck following somebody around.

Go diving, make investment and own all your equipment, take responsibility for yourself, take continue education courses such as advance, rescue, specialities that interest you, go diving in different environments not just a local quarry, be aware or surroundings and location , be the best you can be with your navigation, GO DIVING.

I'm not understanding why you can't improve your buoyancy and trim because you're following a DM. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

As far as "being scolded" by the DM? Me thinks you're a wee bit sensitive. Sounds to me like you're doing a lot of extra kicking and/or arm movements and you received constructive criticism that you didn't take all that well. So what if you accidentally got separated from the group due to no intentional action on your part and the DM had a word with you. Stop caring so much about doing something wrong, the world won't end as you know it.

How do you get better? Keep on diving. If possible, have a buddy film you, maybe you get paired up with someone with a camera- ask them to shoot some video of you and email you the file. Get yourself a private DM or instructor for a dive to give you tips. Be aware of yourself in the water. Take advice without getting defensive. Watch other divers and look for the subtle and obvious difference between those who are calm and comfortable in the water and those who look like they're having one seizure after another. When you're diving in a group with the DM let them know you'd appreciate some diving tips. If they're helpful, know that THEY work for tips of another kind. Did I say keep on diving? That's the best way to improve your skills, but make each dive a learning experience.

There are plenty of dive destinations where you’re not required to follow a DM, and you and your buddy are free to wander. You may be able to find an insta-buddy who understands that you like to slow down and practice your kicks, etc. A photographer might make a good buddy for a shallow dive, as they tend to move slowly or even remain in one area the entire dive. Where do you live, and where have you dived? Where are you open to considering diving?

Find buddies that are content trading off who leads a dive. That way, it forces you to work on things (ex. Navigation) that you aren't going to put a whole lot of thought into if you're just wandering around following a DM.

Guided dives are great for beginners and/or people that want to just wander around and not put in a whole lot of thought into...well...anything. One boat I went out on, the crew went so far as to assemble gear for people and all but do the entire gear pre-dive check for them.

That is not a recipe for learning much of anything, but it is a recipe for a leisurely dive for someone that doesn't want the responsibility of planning and executing their own dive.

I'm not understanding why you can't improve your buoyancy and trim because you're following a DM. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

I think I can understand what the OP is trying to say. When one has to constantly follow, or chase after, or obey somebody (be it a DM, instructor, or a fast(er) buddy), there is no time left first to relax and second to think about things like buoyancy and weighting checks, drills, equipment configuration etc .

There are few things the OP can do such as :
- keep diving: eventually one reaches the point that it takes just few seconds (or less) to think and do these "extras".
- keep training: hopefully an instructor will understand your needs and if not help you, at least give you some time to deal with them.
- Talk to your DM/instructor/buddies or whoever you have to follow to explain your needs. They should listen to you - if not change them. Unfortunately too often professionals get too much focused on the task (do XX minutes of diving at YY depth to see A, B and if there is time left C and so the story goes) - hence no time left for disturbances like drills, equipment adjustments, buoyancy or weight checks etc. The best is if you could find a buddy at similar or better level than you who is willing to help you or help each other to improve. For example you could have few dives focused on skills or equipment or whatever else you might need.
- Have you thought about Solo? I don't know for you but for me, compared to the above, going solo feels like in paradise :) Not that I have totally abandoned diving with other people, but the feeling I get during a solo dive can't be compared. Of course first you need appropriate training for this, but if you struggle following/chasing others I think you will really enjoy solo.

Good luck

I think I can understand what the OP is trying to say. When one has to constantly follow, or chase after, or obey somebody (be it a DM, instructor, or a fast(er) buddy), there is no time left first to relax and second to think about things like buoyancy and weighting checks, drills, equipment configuration etc .

A good DM is going to move slowly through the water, completely stopping ton a regular basis to point out interesting features and creatures and to allow slower divers to catch up to the group. If I was on a guided dive and found myself having to chase a fast moving DM that doesn't slow down or stop- I'd either completely ignore them and do my own dive, or communicate with them- inwater on a slate or post dive on the boat. Yes they'd probably approach me on the boat and say something like "stay with the group!" at which point I'd retort "You do the same!".

Happened to me once- hired a private dive guide for me and my brother on the Vandenberg a couple of years ago- Drew from Southpoint divers. Good guy but moved too fast for my tastes especially in the very low visibility waters of the deep wreck and I do a lot of filming with my camera which is on a tray with lights and makes squeezing through doorways a bit more of a task. When I caught up to him (and my brother) I firmly gestured "slow down!". It had little to no effect and I found myself alone yet again- so I simply gave up on chasing them and did my own thing. Found myself in about 6ft of visibility in a room somewhere inside the wreck thinking I was going to have to make a free ascent since I had no clue where the nearest mooring line was but the thought didn't bother me in the least, I'm always prepared with a reel and an SMB, the Op might want to consider doing the same, at least for some peace of mind. (At some point the DM came looking for me at which point I repeated the slow down gesture with a shrug as if to say, can we try this again, thanks.

Thanks guys, All very informative answers, pretty much everyone said what I thought they would, just dive more, which i don't have an issue with, I'm game for pretty much anything, I've done Thailand, Roatan, and Honduras, now I'm in Guam. My long term goal is to dive more, dive deeper, and dive more wrecks. I'm always looking for ways to impove myself in the water.

Can you dive locally? Beach, quarry, lake, river? If so, even when the body of water isn't that interesting, it's an opportunity to work on skills.

Even time spent in a pool is valuable.

Can you dive locally? Beach, quarry, lake, river? If so, even when the body of water isn't that interesting, it's an opportunity to work on skills.

Even time spent in a pool is valuable.
My home town is in Maryland, I'm currently in Guam for a few months for work so I'm taking full advantage (Think I am going to end up loosing money in working Guam, instead of making money, because of diving). I haven't tried diving in Maryland yet, there are a couple of quarries and man made lakes, I'm not to keen on the the Chesapeake bay unless I have suit of armor for the Jelly fish. I think my biggest problem there is I have yet to find a good dive shop. Sounds like I will be spending money on dry suit cert when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom