How do you find a community/gig like this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alv0065

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So... I've been slightly stalking the applications for the GUE Next Gen Scholarship... and you have youngish people who...
1. One is a researcher for Blue Planet.
2. One is conducting studies "eelgrass" and appears to be diving everyday for that.
3. Another... just seems to be doing a lot of stuff, some research, some with OceanX, some with a lot.

Outside of GUE NextGen, I follow a couple of people on social media who kind of always seem to be doing something new and interesting dive related... such "Demoing new rebreather today", "Demoing something else today!"

I guess a distinction here... My first examples are doing stuff ostensibly career wise, my other examples just seems to be in constant proximity to doing stuff. I have a feeling they are not paying full price for all this training/gear/opportunities. But maybe they are?

So my question is, how are people sort of winding up in these positions? I've done a fair amount of work in documentary (editing one diving related doc now), however I have never quite been been able pivot over to making them professionally. I probably never will, but it would be interesting to at least be involved in some group that is doing something natural/engineering/explorative.

The holy grail hollywood casting couch of interesting scuba diving things to do for a buck but with enjoyment

What a brilliant question

So... I've been slightly stalking the applications for the GUE Next Gen Scholarship... and you have youngish people who...
2. One is conducting studies "eelgrass" and appears to be diving everyday for that.
3. Another... just seems to be doing a lot of stuff, some research, some with OceanX, some with a lot.

Outside of GUE NextGen, I follow a couple of people on social media who kind of always seem to be doing something new and interesting dive related... such "Demoing new rebreather today", "Demoing something else today!"

I guess a distinction here... My first examples are doing stuff ostensibly career wise, my other examples just seems to be in constant proximity to doing stuff. I have a feeling they are not paying full price for all this training/gear/opportunities. But maybe they are?

So my question is, how are people sort of winding up in these positions? I've done a fair amount of work in documentary (editing one diving related doc now), however I have never quite been been able pivot over to making them professionally. I probably never will, but it would be interesting to at least be involved in some group that is doing something natural/engineering/explorative.
I get the impression its alot like any other cool job:
networking.

So my question is, how are people sort of winding up in these positions?

They get back on here regularly to add a few lines to their thread to generate some more enthusiasm
and to move it up for those that may have missed it

You know I'm about to stitch two pieces of too short webbing together
and stash the join inside shoulder padding for a one piece DIR harness

And the buckle will be on the right where it should be to wear with a weight belt

A lot of these projects start by individuals who have a vision and work for free as volunteers doing something good and right for the environment and the community. I started purple urchin diving just on my own to clear the urchin barrens in an effort to restore the kelp forests. After a few years I decided I needed help so I talked to my LDS and we organized urchin removal dives as shop fun dives. It started off slow but then it built up speed. I started an Instagram page and kept adding to it, which build enthusiasm and attracted divers and also attracted the attention of SeaTrees which is an environmental organization that funds project like mine. They contacted me and we got funded for air fills for the operation. Not huge but a start.
I also reached out to a friend of mine who has an org called the California Kelp Restoration Corp and he has a lot to do with working with DFW to amend laws and change rules related to the purple urchin infestation.
Eventually I may go 501(c)(3) so I can grow this as an org and look for funding on my own. There are corporations that look for environmental causes such as mine to invest in and this is a worthy cause.
Eventually with enough funding and dedication it becomes more than just volunteerism, it can become a job. You guide it with your vision and you set goals. It’s a lot of hard work that you do for free in the beginning, but someone has to first think of it, then be willing to be the first to do the grind and form a path so others can follow.

When I first started out alone three years ago I would get a limit of 40 gallons of purple urchins (two trash cans full) about 150 lbs.
Yesterday my team and I landed 1,989 lbs. of purple urchins! We had 15 divers, several people for shore support, a photographer/videographer, and we’ve secured a place to compost them. We’re all volunteers.
And the best news is that the kelp is returning!

Get a vision and start a project and grow it.
This is how it’s done. They don’t just fall from the sky from god.
Also, don’t always believe everything you see and read on social media.

Having worked with or in proximity to a few of these types of people, it is partially related to physical location, and partially related to who they know. But most of all it is a boat load of really hard work, and sacrificing short term fun for long term gains. And they have probably been doing it since there were able to make their own decisions.

Unless there is some sort of family connection, even the "who they know" part is also hard work. I have a current undergrad student that takes every opportunity for networking he can get. I introduce him around, then he does the work with chatting and actual follow up after the fact. In the past 6 years working at a university, he is the first one to do this, so it's pretty rare.

A lot of these projects start by individuals who have a vision and work for free as volunteers doing something good and right for the environment and the community. I started purple urchin diving just on my own to clear the urchin barrens in an effort to restore the kelp forests. After a few years I decided I needed help so I talked to my LDS and we organized urchin removal dives as shop fun dives. It started off slow but then it built up speed. I started an Instagram page and kept adding to it, which build enthusiasm and attracted divers and also attracted the attention of SeaTrees which is an environmental organization that funds project like mine. They contacted me and we got funded for air fills for the operation. Not huge but a start.
I also reached out to a friend of mine who has an org called the California Kelp Restoration Corp and he has a lot to do with working with DFW to amend laws and change rules related to the purple urchin infestation.
Eventually I may go 501(c)(3) so I can grow this as an org and look for funding on my own. There are corporations that look for environmental causes such as mine to invest in and this is a worthy cause.
Eventually with enough funding and dedication it becomes more than just volunteerism, it can become a job. You guide it with your vision and you set goals. It’s a lot of hard work that you do for free in the beginning, but someone has to first think of it, then be willing to be the first to do the grind and form a path so others can follow.

When I first started out alone three years ago I would get a limit of 40 gallons of purple urchins (two trash cans full) about 150 lbs.
Yesterday my team and I landed 1,989 lbs. of purple urchins! We had 15 divers, several people for shore support, a photographer/videographer, and we’ve secured a place to compost them. We’re all volunteers.
And the best news is that the kelp is returning!

Get a vision and start a project and grow it.
This is how it’s done. They don’t just fall from the sky from god.
Also, don’t always believe everything you see and read on social media.
What kind of laws did yall need to get amended?

What kind of laws did yall need to get amended?
The limit got moved up from 35 urchins, to 20 gals., then 40 gals.
Let me back up a bit, a guy named Josh Russo formed an org called the Waterman’s Alliance. He’s actually the one who had everything to do with changing the laws to what they are now, including changing Caspar Cove to a culling zone and unlimited take. But that’s currently the only site in the state that allows smashing. It remains under scientific scrutiny.
Keith Rootsaert is the one who got them to allow culling in a protected zone in Monterey as a scientific experiment. That was a two year permit and it ran out, so now he’s lobbying to open the entire coast to either unlimited take, full culling (smashing) or both. I would be happy with unlimited take if the science is still skeptical of smashing possibly causing a spawn.

That’s wild! I always thought they were invasive and intrinsically wouldn’t have a bag limit!

How long did that take to get changed?

I’m really interested in getting involved in something like that

A: Know the right people.

B: Theres a 0.1% chance these people are making a living doing those things. Either grad students still in school racking up debt or have minimal life responsibilities, or others that have the free time to devote to a hobby.

For the 0.1% that are making a living, they work 16hr days 8 days a week to survive doing their passion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom