How do you carry your housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpassov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased an underwater housing for my Panasonic Lumix and was wondering how others carry it around when not in the water.
Is there a special kind of case or bag I should get?

I have a Pelican case that fits my housing, strobes, arms and WA lens. It's too big and heavy for carry-on, though, so I've been packing it in a rolling soft bag for flights, using my socks and t-shirts as padding and keeping it on the plane with me.

In a case:

DSCF0032.jpg

However, once I rig it and board the boat it remains in my hands until I leave the boat. When entering the water, a crew hands it to me, upon exiting the water again a crew member holds it until I am on deck and then I take it back. I don't put my camera in those tubs where the lenses and cases get smashed, people rinse masks and spit into.

If you can dive carrying a brick without setting it down from boarding to un-boarding, then you are ready to carry a camera because it is like that.

N

When I'm on a trip, I carry it either in my Pelican case or in a bag with foam padding.

I have a case similar to the above one when travelling by car... but put it in my carryon and pack clothes around it when going by air.

I do what Nemrod does on the boat, unless it is a special large (55 gallon size) camera.. my strobes and case sink in fresh water, so I am always away from all the other gear (which mostly floats).

I normally take pictures with one hand.. so holding the camera and strobes takes a strong hand.

My compact housings either go in my backpack or if I want a dedicated carrybag for them, I use a mini portable cooler bag. They are padded and insulated.

Want more protection? Add a piece of tupperware inside the bag - you now have a hard case. Add some foam - I used the extra bits from the pluck and pull foam that came with my bigger hard cases - and you've got a nice snug, light, small, portable, versatile bag that does it all. From protection to personal rinse tub. Perfect.

i have a 'really useful' hard plastic box into which my camera fits fully rigged with a piece of foam on the bottom & an old hand towel to cover it with.

i do a lot of RIB diving and i don't want bags of fins, divers feet etc on my camera.

At the end of the day i put my computer into the box & fill it with fresh water and leave it to soak. the flaw in this cunning plot is that the foam needs pushing down as air gets trapped underneath it so it sometimes floats & pushes the camera out of the box. a skewer for pushing the foam away from the side cures this.

i have a pele case for travelling (similar to Larry's), but mainly i keep the housing & strobes in the boat box & have a smaller seperate really useful box for the camera, lenses etc.

Really Useful Products Ltd - Welcome - Buy Online Now!

2nding soft cooler for carrying the camera from hotel to dive shop to boat. and actually, that's probably not a bad way to put it in your carry-on, although we have a bunch of other gear (strobes, dslr rig) so we have dedicated padded luggage.

I'm with the soft beer cooler crowd. I also dive off RIBs a lot, you can rest it on your lap or sling it over your shoulder. Needs rinsing in fresh water, otherwise the zips do not last very long.

I'm with the soft beer cooler crowd. I also dive off RIBs a lot, you can rest it on your lap or sling it over your shoulder. Needs rinsing in fresh water, otherwise the zips do not last very long.

you're obviously much more trusting of your fellow divers than i am:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom