How do you carry your compass...or do you?

How do you carry your compass?

• I don't carry a compass.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I carry my compass on my wrist.

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • I carry my compass on my console.

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • I carry my compass on a retractor.

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • I carry my compass clipped to me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertarak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I wear my compass (SK7) on my left wrist. It seems "mostly" accurate, but I have a hard time really centering the luber line. I have seen a few people with their compass on a retractor. It seemed to me that the retractor cable acts as an extended luber line to aid in accuracy. I am kinda thinking about giving it a try, and thought I would ask what everyone else is doing.

SK-7 on left wrist. Using DSS boot. Offset it with the bungee. Works just fine. This isn't a gear issue that "needs" a retrator. Just keep diving and save the money.

I wear my compass Uwatec on my right wrist, because I use my dive computer on my left wirst.

PADI did a study, and the results were that it did not matter what method was used, but rather if the diver had practiced the skills to the point they were comfortable with them.

I use mine on the left wrist which works for me, except for the last dive I did where I had my watch RIGHT next to the compass. Apparently something in the watch is magnetic, and it was causing me all sorts of issues.

I quit diving w/ a compass. It's great to have in theory, but with current, a compass doesn't do a whole lot of good unless your destination is in the same direction the currents pushing.

Mines mounted in the console, together with the SPG and the computer..
The only problem im having is that I need to make sure I have enough hose free to maneuver it, which isnt too great if i need to let go of it to use my hands.. Much free hose = much room for it to swing free..

Robert I now use an SK7 in a DSS boot on my left wrist (sometimes...) I used to have a compass on a retractor, yes the retractor line can work as an extended luber line... mine at least happened to be metal and really screwed up the compass! if I took the compass of the retractor it would move considerably, I agree save the money and keep in on your wrist. That being said... when are we going to go diving?

Compass is on my computer.

David P:
Robert I now use an SK7 in a DSS boot on my left wrist (sometimes...) I used to have a compass on a retractor, yes the retractor line can work as an extended luber line... mine at least happened to be metal and really screwed up the compass! if I took the compass of the retractor it would move considerably, I agree save the money and keep in on your wrist. That being said... when are we going to go diving?

Hey David!
Thanx for the input. As for diving, I'm doing 3 R's (Reef, Rocks and Rips) at Point Dume (though from what I read it should be called Point DOOM) tomorrow. Might get in a beach dive or 2 after that...wanna go?

PS. My thanx to everyone else for the inout as well!

Back
Top Bottom