how do you best clean the lens port of cam housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just tried my PT015/5050 combo for the first time. Worked great but now I'm wondering how I should clean the window of the PT015 of the slight residue that seams to have been deposited. Don't want to scratch it or anything. Should I just use a regular drop of lens cleaner solution and lens paper or something more like a mild dish soap solution and a long fresh water rinse?

Please advise,
Dave

Is it the inside or outside that's dirty? The inside really shouldn't get dirty since it should be dry all of the time.

If its the outside, than just use anything that doesn't corrode the metal or destroy the seal (ala dish detergent should work fine). Just don't use anything on the glass that will scratch it (paper towl for example).

BTW, you COULD use simple green as it is good for a cleaning solution, but but just don't leave it on too long - it supposedly will eat away metal if exposed for too long according to the military. But for your application it should work fine.

Keep It Simple: use lens paper or a lens cloth and lens solution both inside and out. It goes on easy, cleans well, and wipes off without smears. Both items can be transported easily in your cam case. If you use soap, you'll have to flood rinse to get all the residue off, and plain water has a tendancy to dry with streaks. My $.02.

Barracuda2

another thing to remember is that although you have cleaned the lens, if not completely dry the drops of water left on the lens or port will mark the glass.

i had to send back my WAL because it had petrol stains on it

they suggested using the mask clear spray before getting it wet, that way water should not stick to it.

Back
Top Bottom