How do you back up your photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone. So as the weeks turn into months with my new camera, I'm beginning to amass quite a few photos and I have an ever-growing fear of losing them due to some possible future computer catastrophe.

How do you back yours up? disc? removable memory? prints?

I have dual external portable hard drives as well, so there's redundancy. I also burn my RAW images to CD as well. I've heard varying thoughts on how long CDs will last as well, but also there's the issue of how long various RAW formats will be software supported. There's an interesting thread on this issue to check out: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100081

What Warren sald. Seeing as my man isn't DIVING today, he's on SB...

:D

First stop from Cam is laptop. Next stop is 300 GB external Hard Drive. Next stop is Wifie's desktop (we have a home network, and some images I want access to), next stop is 50 GB External Hard Drive and final stop is CD.

One thing you need to start doing now is looking at catalogging software. I have nearly 20,000 electronic images and probably 5000 - 7000 negs and stills I want to start archiving - and I need a cataloging solution badly. Get into one now before you have a zillion images and you'll have fewer issues moving to it.

---
Ken

I'm another one in favor of external hard drives for back ups. We have three at home and on trips we each have two. I'm not a fan of online services as there are too many variables that you can't control like connections going down, hardware/software problems on the remote site, remote companies going bankrupt, companies being hacked. At least when you keep the drives local if you have hardware or software problems you can slap a drive into another machine and off you go.

OY, the wind is really howling here in Long Beach..... they cancelled the ferry across to Catalina today. How dare they! :( ... but the weather is looking promising for Thurs/Fri!

On trips, I like also bring along my notebook so I can off-load my cards each night onto my notebook and burn some CDs as I go. I typically do this for multiday trips.

xternal hardrive, or two is excellent, I have all my photos and videos backed up on each just in case one goes.

Same goes with Music. All of my music is on several drives.

Any electronic media needs to have multiple back ups.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom