How do restaurants in Coz stay afloat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe they were slammed with everyone arriving all at one time and that can put anyone "in the weeds" - the island is busier than usual. Maybe someone didn't show up last night and they were short staffed.

Oh yeh, and they are human and doing the best they can at any given moment - and therefore can have off days.

give em a break unless it happens consistently.

Agreed. On all diving trips, to me, time is important only when catching the boat and in the water. After I am out of water, time is no longer relevant.

After all, that is what vacation is about. Just relax and enjoy every moment of it, and don't sweat the little things.

Restaurants come ann go like the tide. Only a few remain for the long term. Try Los Otates, La Choza, El Pique etc. If you see a small place with no one sitting, that might be a clue on where to go. On the other hand, there is no reason a new place may show up…but who will be first?

I do know that business is as tough as it gets, except maybe for dive shops!

Dave

Last edited:
Another oddity is how sometimes a highly rated place like mentioned earlier can be a total lunch bag letdown. It tasted like a low end family eatery chain back home but without the service. Odd

Diego’s was quiet when we arrived after a delay both in YYZ and CZM customs. But it wasn’t due to the lack of good food! A new tradition and a way to stick it to the airport vans. :thumb:

I would complain. The ones there might have been working as fast as they could, but to me that just means they were understaffed. If they have a seat they are filling, they need to be able to serve it properly.

No, restaurants do not staff up for seats they have AVAILABLE to fill; they staff for the seats which they EXPECT to fill. Fully staffing up a restaurant at all times for every seat at every table is a very quick way to go broke.

No, restaurants do not staff up for seats they have AVAILABLE to fill; they staff for the seats which they EXPECT to fill. Fully staffing up a restaurant at all times for every seat at every table is a very quick way to go broke.
Please re-read what I wrote. I did not say available, and a clean read does not suggest that I meant available.. If they cannot serve the seat properly, they should not fill it. Or they should call staff in. Cr*p service is a good way to go broke too.

I'm guessing you've never worked in the restaurant business - pretty obvious.

Maybe they were slammed with everyone arriving all at one time and that can put anyone "in the weeds" - the island is busier than usual. Maybe someone didn't show up last night and they were short staffed.

Oh yeh, and they are human and doing the best they can at any given moment - and therefore can have off days.

give em a break unless it happens consistently.
From someone who is in the business your correct. We have gone from 2 tables to 15 in 10 mins. And if you tell people its going to be a wait and they see open tables. They don't understand that the staff is BOMBED and needs a few mins. They just get mad because they don't understand. I have even told people why and what was happening, and they are mad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom