how do people rank cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't dive out of Cancun. If I were to stay on the Yucatan Mainland, Xclack or Malhual (I never spell this right), but Cozumel is still better.

evad:
Cancun is a hideous place.

Well i do respect points of view, but calling Cancun hideous place?? common!!!
Evad i do not know how many times you been there? but i spend the most incredible 5 years of my life down there, not only diving, but i went to school there and i found the love of my life, now Cancun have many other places aroun beside the Hoteles Zone as is been stated before, have you ever visited Puerto morelos, Majahual, Akumal or Cenotes like Chac-Mol or dos ojos? Maybe not and if you did well i'm sorry you did not liked it, even in the very same Cancun you can find very nice small hotels in down town with real Mexican food and you will be able to taste a beat of my Mexico, from there operators like Manta divers will pick you up and take you to the wreck of the
C-53, if you do not like that dive something is wrong with you 100' viz, 85' lots of marine life BIG MARINE LIFE, so well i do not know what is wrong with you, or what do you have against Cancun, but if you never go, (caz i do not think you ever been) you will never find out what you are missing.

Not everything you read about Cancun in your average travel magazine or what you are able to see in the Girls gone wild videos is all we have to offer, is a lot more down there.

Take care, and happy safe dives for you.
God Bless you.

joeabroad:
Very true, but IMO Eilat is the Israeli Cancun.

Diving in Eilat itself can be a little grim, too--the coral has been smashed to pieces, I think mostly as the direct result of the high volume of overweighted OW students processed there. However, if you hop across the border to Aqaba it's a different world--wonderful reefs, wrecks and marine life that Cancun can't hold a candle to. Red Sea Water Sports in Eilat can probably organize an Aqaba trip for you, or you can stay at one of the hotels in Aqaba. Several dive operations there. Aqaba is only about 5 miles from Eilat.

And awful as Cancun is, there are other places very near that are far less awful but share the same water--Isla Mujeres, Puerto Morelos. Cancun is where I did my OW certification dives (with Manta Divers, very excellent small shop) and I think about the reefs there all the time.

And in your case my friend i just don't understand you at all you support the idea of Cancun being an awful place, but you can't stop thinking about the reefs down there, you even remember Manta Divers (One if the finest shops there) why is that, it is maybe because is not as bad as you think or as people made you think, let me ask you something how was the people at Manta were n't nice to you? i'm pretty sure they were, and the people of any place make sthe place, so by calling Cancun awful you are calling the people in Cancun awful as well, and let me tell you something every time i go to Cancun i been treated like a king and some of my best friends are there and none of them are awful, yes we may have some bad things we are not perfect but well if you didn't like it is your point of view and i can't change it.

You take care and have fun diving some place other than Cancun, just out of curiosity, do you dive the Boston Harbor and the Islands?

And to return the favor of promoting each other places, i love your hood, Brookline is one of my favorite places i work in the Medical area and i love it, i may have over a 1000 pictures of this place, not to mention i use ECD as my LDS, great people, Nick is a great guy.

Well take care, dive safe.

mccabejc:
Oh no you di'n't !!! :11:

Cancun didn't really exist until 1970, so it's more like Dallas meets the beach, a place where hotels are the only architecture and the "nightlife" is one bar or chain restuarant after another. You feel like a piece of meat in a butcher shop, everyone whereever you walk with all the touts.

I prefer further south, were it's taken much longer to develop area where people actually lived before 1970, like Tulum.

It could just be me...I'm kinda picky and I don't really like Vegas or the strip malls.

Rafael:
Well i do respect points of view, but calling Cancun hideous place?? common!!!
Evad i do not know how many times you been there? but i spend the most incredible 5 years of my life down there, not only diving, but i went to school there and i found the love of my life, now Cancun have many other places aroun beside the Hoteles Zone as is been stated before, have you ever visited Puerto morelos, Majahual, Akumal or Cenotes like Chac-Mol or dos ojos? Maybe not and if you did well i'm sorry you did not liked it, even in the very same Cancun you can find very nice small hotels in down town with real Mexican food and you will be able to taste a beat of my Mexico, from there operators like Manta divers will pick you up and take you to the wreck of the
C-53, if you do not like that dive something is wrong with you 100' viz, 85' lots of marine life BIG MARINE LIFE, so well i do not know what is wrong with you, or what do you have against Cancun, but if you never go, (caz i do not think you ever been) you will never find out what you are missing.

Not everythin you read about Cancun in your average travel magazine or what you are able to see in the Girls going wild videos is all we have to offer is a lot more down there.

Take care, and happy safe dives for you.
God Bless you.

At least you believe in things. God bless you.

breals:
Cancun didn't really exist until 1970, so it's more like Dallas meets the beach, a place where hotels are the only architecture and the "nightlife" is one bar or chain restuarant after another. You feel like a piece of meat in a butcher shop, everyone whereever you walk with all the touts.

I prefer further south, were it's taken much longer to develop area where people actually lived before 1970, like Tulum.

It could just be me...I'm kinda picky and I don't really like Vegas or the strip malls.

I have to agree with you, Cancun is 35 years old, and yes the big hotels and bars everywhere, shopping malls, but again is more out there, and no to mention this is the scuba board, not the feed back page from hotels.com, i go to Cancun at least twice a year, two weeks at the time and just like you i do not enjoy going to the Hoteles zone that much, so i stay in my house down town, and i may go to a restaurant or a club once or twice in my entire stay.

But well the point i want to make is this is a board for divers, and Cancun have plenty of great diving sites, of course is better places, Cozumel is just superior, but Cancun is a fenomenal place to dive, if you are a new diver Cancun is a perfect place for you as well.

Rafael:
And in your case my friend i just don't understand you at all you support the idea of Cancun being an awful place, but you can't stop thinking about the reefs down there, you even remember Manta Divers (One if the finest shops there) why is that, it is maybe because is not as bad as you think or as people made you think, let me ask you something how was the people at Manta were n't nice to you? i'm pretty sure they were, and the people of any place make sthe place, so by calling Cancun awful you are calling the people in Cancun awful as well, and let me tell you something every time i go to Cancun i been treated like a king and some of my best friends are there and none of them are awful, yes we may have some bad things we are not perfect but well if you didn't like it is your point of view and i can't change it.

You take care and have fun diving some place other than Cancun, just out of curiosity, do you dive the Boston Harbor and the Islands?

And to return the favor of promoting each other places, i love your hood, Brookline is one of my favorite places i work in the Medical area and i love it, i may have over a 1000 pictures of this place, not to mention i use ECD as my LDS, great people, Nick is a great guy.

Well take care, dive safe.

Rafael,

Your point is very well taken, and I apologize for any insult to the Mexicans. Mexico and its people are tops--really grand--but the hotels and tourists in Cancun send me running quickly away. Manta is a great operation--but even when I was doing my cert. dives with them I stayed on Isla Mujeres. It's a question of personal preference.

And I don't really dive in Boston Harbor, but I do dive off Cape Ann quite a lot. I also use Nick at ECD.

cheers
Joe

joeabroad:
Rafael,

Your point is very well taken, and I apologize for any insult to the Mexicans. Mexico and its people are tops--really grand--but the hotels and tourists in Cancun send me running quickly away. Manta is a great operation--but even when I was doing my cert. dives with them I stayed on Isla Mujeres. It's a question of personal preference.

And I don't really dive in Boston Harbor, but I do dive off Cape Ann quite a lot. I also use Nick at ECD.

cheers
Joe

No problem, i did not take any comment as an insult, to us (Mexicans) i just wanted to point the very same thing you did is a question of personal preference, in my case just as you i will stay in Isla Mujeres over Cancun any day, as a matter of fact the person who introduce me to SCUBA is Tony Gonzalez From Mundaca Divers, this May was the 10th anniversary of my firs dive ever.

You take care and give it a shot to the Boston Harbor, i dove Cape Ann & Rockport and let me tell you, the Boston Harbor is just as nice and in some cases better, any time you fill like diving it let me know i will be more than happy to be your buddy.

divingjd:
Whatever one may think of Cancun, the diving is not bad. I would say it is probably underrated. There are some decent reefs out near Isla Mujeres and there is an abundance of marine life. It is not the equal of Cozumel, but it is certainly worthwhile diving. Because it is exposed to the wind, the harbor often closes when the wind kicks up. There are not a lot of highly-regarded dive ops in Cancun. Avoid Aquaworld, which has the concession to run the resort courses for virtually all of the hotels. I have heard some good things about Manta Divers. It has been about seven years since I have been there and the shop I used to dive with is closed.

You are also 60-90 minutes away from the cenotes down near Tulum. If you are not familar with the cenotes, they offer the chance for guided cavern dives with a cave instructor. The cenotes are world-class diving. It is also possible to get over to Cozumel for some diving. It's a bit of a haul, about an hour down to Playa del Carmen to catch the ferry, then about an hour on the ferry over to Cozumel, but it's doable. It makes for a long day for a two-tank dive, so you probably wouldn't want to do it every day, but I would recommend doing it once.
I agree with dlndavid. Couple of good wrecks in Cancun harbor. No deeps like Coz. Current is real mild. Just enough to keep you goin. Just got back last thur. Stayed in Cancun (free lodging) but dove everyday down in Puerto Aventuras. Exactly 1hr 20 minute drive but well worth it. Can do 2 am dives stop and eat/cruise in Playa then get back to Cancun, shower and party Cancun at night. Deepest in Puerto around 105. Marine life OK but Coz better. Problem with Coz after hurricane is everything down to about 75ft is covered with sand. Looks like the moon!!. Also, gotta do the cenotes down by Tulum - Dos Ojos especially. Great gear rinse after week of diving reefs! Best dive op Diablo Divers/Aquanauts. Across the street from Omni. World famous tech diver Dennis and 100 steel tanks. Max bottom time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom