How do I toughen my feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt you will try this, but here is another option

When I used to play golf many years ago BD 9before diving) I always had badly blistered feet. One of the older club members told me that during the war to toughen the skin on their feet they would stand in their urine.

Must admit I didn't try it so have no idea if it would work or not.

I use waterproof first aid tape - before the blister starts. Lasts a couple of dives at least. After the blister has started it only lasts one dive.

I doubt you will try this, but here is another option

When I used to play golf many years ago BD 9before diving) I always had badly blistered feet. One of the older club members told me that during the war to toughen the skin on their feet they would stand in their urine.

Must admit I didn't try it so have no idea if it would work or not.

Since urine is one of the chemicals that can be used to tan hides I have no doubt it would work. But, I'm not sure what the long term consequences would be if a person tanned living flesh.

I get blisters and abrasions on the inside of my foot, over the arch: I guess where the fin rubs. I have two small scraps of neoprene, and I stuff these in before I zip up the boot...it helps a lot. For toes...hmmm...not sure what to say.

When I was studying the martial arts we would kick a heavy canvas bag for hours on end. Using every part of the foot including the top. Toughens em up quick!

I don't have a heavy bag. But, your post triggered a memory about brine baths. Really stiff brine in which the hands are repetitively immersed. I suspect the effect is similar to the bag kicking. I do remember it didn't take long for the hands to have really tough skin.

So, I bought some salt. I'll see if I can find some socks like Tassie posted about. I may even try a lubricant inside the sock.

Thanks All!!!!

Arctic,

I'm surprised no-one has brought this up, but have you considered it might be a fin fit issue?

both the material of the toe box, and the size/shape will have an impact. A closed toe box is much more likely to cause toe blisteing.

My Avanti-Quattros cause blisters if I flutter, but not if I frog-kick. My Apollo Bio's don't cause blisters at all... they have an open toe-box and are completely natural rubber. Have you tried using different fins?

D

Arctic,

I'm surprised no-one has brought this up, but have you considered it might be a fin fit issue?

both the material of the toe box, and the size/shape will have an impact. A closed toe box is much more likely to cause toe blisteing.

My Avanti-Quattros cause blisters if I flutter, but not if I frog-kick. My Apollo Bio's don't cause blisters at all... they have an open toe-box and are completely natural rubber. Have you tried using different fins?

D

Yes, I have considered that. In the latest case poor, nay, unacceptable, fin fit contributed to the blisters. I have replacement fins on the way now.

But, different people have different skin. Some people's skin is so tough an IV catheter makes a big dent in the skin before penetrating. Others, like me have very tender skin. So, fit, whether it be boots or fins, only plays a partial role.

For me it has to be a combination of good bootie and fin fit and decreasing sensitivity to blisters.

Is the skin on your toes dry, or well hydrated?

Have you considered getting a pedicure or parafin treatment? It may sound silly, but I swear it works.

for hiking, i often tell nubies to rub their feet with rubbing alcohol nightly for 2 weeks before a hiking trek. This seems to prevent blisters, for hiking, and I should guess for diving too

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom