How do I toughen my feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, how do I toughen the skin over the sides and tops of my toes and arch so I am less prone to blisters? I know what I can do about the soles of my feet; just walk a lot on rough surfaces. But, what about the sides and tops?

I use to get blisters on the tops of my toes on long dive trips.

I bought some thin lycra socks to wear inside my boots and havn't had any problems since then.

I'm not a doctor, but I am blister prone and have had good results with Body Glide, or similar products made for feet by Dr. Scholls. They are basically silicone balm sticks that reduce friction and help prevent blisters and other irritations.

Thanks. I'll buy the socks. I'll also get some of the Body Glide but that sounds messy to have to clean out of the booties. Still, better than blood from broken blisters.

Have you considered moleskin (sometimes called second skin) or some other similar product? Placed over the skin at the point of contact, the offending object chaffs against it rather than your skin preventing the blister.

Many dive shops have something similar to these socks

Do this until the problem stops!
600_IMG_6316_Fire_walkers_BLR_Fiji_06.jpg

I'd love it if a boot manufacturer made boots that did not lacerate my toes after a few days diving.

I've gone through a half dozen boots over the years, all with the same problem.

Looking around the deck of a liveaboard I've noticed I'm not the only person with cut toes - so theres definitely a market out there.

Thanks Tassie. So far that seems to be the best answer of those given.

I've tried tape and other protective pads but they all seem to come off in the water. Trying to reapply on several wet toes in cramped quarters becomes a real challenge. Plus, when they come off in the water early in the dive by the time I get back on the boat the toes are already red.

That firewalking suggestion sure looks showy. But, from what I've been told it really isn't very hazardous; something about the ash providing insulation and the kind of heat being dealt with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom