How do I remove and replace a Light Monkey canister light lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry for the really basic question but does anyone know how to safely remove and replace a light monkey lens? I was told by Light Money to do this in order to clear up a moisture issue in the lens but I don't know how to remove and replace the o-ring without ruining it. This is actually a Hollis 16 W light made by Light Monkey. It has what appears to be an eternal o-ring in front of the lens but I don't want to just go poking at it with a pick unless that is how you get it out. There is no mention of how to do this in the manual I found on line. I can send this light in for warranty service but it seems like it should not be hard to do.

Provided this is similar to the o-ring in front of the lens on the Salvo/LM 12W LED, just pry it out with a tiny flat screwdriver. The o-ring will be fine as long as you don't apply excessive force. I had similar problems with moisture inside the lens.

Provided this is similar to the o-ring in front of the lens on the Salvo/LM 12W LED, just pry it out with a tiny flat screwdriver. The o-ring will be fine as long as you don't apply excessive force. I had similar problems with moisture inside the lens.

Be sure to use a material that is soft to remove the oring. Pointy metals will ruin the oring if punctured all the ways through.

Thanks everyone, I still have not fixed the problem as it is annoying rather than an real problem and I got real busy lately. I need to buy a couple of brass o-ring picks and my LDS did not seem to have any so I will buy them online. Light Monkey did confirm you just need to remove the outer o-ring and according them the outer o-ring just holds the lens in place and does not really impact the seal integrity which makes sense. Only thing I can say is for what a canister light costs it seems they should do the assembly in a moisture controlled environment so this would not occur in the first place. I guess they are still to small to afford that yet.

Why not try some duct tape applied to the 0-ring, pull it out until you can get under it.

Just in case anyone has a HID that needs cleaning or bulb replacement.

http://www.diveseekers.com/v/vspfiles/manuals/salvo/LightManual.pdf

Salvo manual. Starts on page 8. Salvo looks the same as Light Monkey.

Edit: Use the gripper from the kitchen to help remove the glass. Using a paper towel may be too slippery and you will tend apply excess pressure breaking the glass cover. Work the glass cover on and off using small twists back and forth. Never pull staight up or push straight down. When puting it back on, the first 0-ring may come out of the notch. Just twist up a little to allow the o-ring to re-seat. The glass sits on the third o-ring, not over. Do not lube the o-rings.

The gripper is that flat peace of rubber used to open stuck jars. It works perfectly for this application. If you don't have one, get one and leave it in your bag. Businesses usually give these things away for free. I found mine on the bottom of the kitchen junk draw.

Remember small twists.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom