How do I make DIY bungie straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score

I have seen a few ideas, but all the ideas in one place would be good it seems. Which thickness? What kind of Bungie cover? How to attach to fin buckle posts?

Is there any company making just the fin buckle attachment pieces that I can add my own bungies to?

I have seen a few ideas, but all the ideas in one place would be good it seems. Which thickness? What kind of Bungie cover? How to attach to fin buckle posts?

Is there any company making just the fin buckle attachment pieces that I can add my own bungies to?

What fins are wanting to make them for? Pin style or post style? If post style, depending on size you might be able to use the Seawing nova buckles which are sold separately. If using pin style you can just tie a knot. The bungee my Novas is 7mm. Good luck.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2014 at 05:55 AM ----------

If you want to add pull pre made tabs you can use Apollo tabs, I get them for around $5 each.

I just used the plastic fitting that clips on the post. The first is an old image from an early experiment, but should give you some ideas. The second image is for fins without posts. The fin on the left in the side-by-side image is a Jet, and Hollis F1 on the right.

Attachments

• Fin Strap Bungee.jpg
    Fin Strap Bungee.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 564
  • Jet and F1 BungeeFinStrap.jpg
    Jet and F1 BungeeFinStrap.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
From an old post-

My converted Jetfins- 8" piece of bike innertube is covering the bungee. Same knots both sides of fin. 5' of 3/8" bungee for 2 fins.

Some of the good bungee cord looks like nice white rubber bands inside, but some new stuff looks like scrap rubber inside and I think it sucks.

jetfin.jpg

What fins are wanting to make them for? Pin style or post style? If post style, depending on size you might be able to use the Seawing nova buckles which are sold separately. If using pin style you can just tie a knot. The bungee my Novas is 7mm. Good luck.

Have you ever replaced the bungie on the Seawings, or had to?

I got a couple of those SeaWing Novas bungie straps as replacements for the Scubapro Spring straps that rusted and failed at the bolt, but shortly thereafter switched away from the SP fins they are on, so they are sitting unused, except as occasional loaners. I like the overall bungie design, and the Bungie cover is nice and comfortable even on bare feet, while the original spring's cover straps were not.

I also saw someone who was struggling to fit in borrow undesized fins one time pop the bungie out of mount on those. His side covers had fallen off and they might be part of what holds the bungie in place on those.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 07:37 PM ----------

I just used the plastic fitting that clips on the post. The first is an old image from an early experiment, but should give you some ideas. The second image is for fins without posts. The fin on the left in the side-by-side image is a Jet, and Hollis F1 on the right.

I payed with the clips and never 'saw' that looping possibility. Thanks!

What thickness of bungie is that, (on the post type)? Did you run it doubled all the way through?

…What thickness of bungie is that, (on the post type)? Did you run it doubled all the way through?

The bungee in the image is double 1/4" but I ended up using a single 3/8". I just looped the end through the bottom hole in the plastic clip, folded it over, and secured it with seizing twine.

Seizing twine is I assume something that gets more permanent with use? Is there another name for it?

You did not find the sticking out bit to stick out too far in use?

One of the reasons I liked that doubled line is that I am thinking I could put the tie point for the bungie back behind the heel. I have tried a couple thing with the knot, and they seem to keep catching on things.

I have not spent all that long on things becuase I am still working out the thickness of the bungie, and the quality. I tried the cheapo Home Depot bottle of bungies and they are either too thick so the knots end up sticking way out, or too weak and the fin keep flexing on and off the foot.

I wouldn't obsess too much over the size of the knot. It will be less drag than the flopping ends of most adjustable fin straps used on posts. Here is a link to seizing twine. You can use it like a zip-tie but it is stronger, lower profile, and can be cumulatively be much tighter.

FSE ROBLINE Waxed Whipping Twine | West Marine

Another alternative is just tie a knot. If you don't feel that is secure enough just dab it with some wetsuit adhesive or similar glue.

Thanks for the link. I was pretty sure that was what you meant and so it is. I have used that on boat lines a lot, but on bungies I would have thought the stretchy would do something to it effectiveness.

No problems with the stretch of the bungie making it work loose?

As far as the knots, it's not the drag, but the fact that the bulky knots tend to catch. I use bungie straps/spring/spear gun rubber straps but I just don't want to have to pay for them if there is a decent to make them cleanly. I have tried to use tied knots but they just annoy me.

I am tempted to do the crimp and shrink wrap, but if the whipping twine works...

… No problems with the stretch of the bungie making it work loose? ...

No problem observed, but I wouldn’t tow a car with it. :wink: Seriously, it is amazing how tight a seizing can get — far tighter than a zip-tie that a lot of divers use.

… I am tempted to do the crimp and shrink wrap, but if the whipping twine works...

One thing that I have done to reduce the bulk of an overhand knot in bungee is to soak it with a flexible adhesive like wetsuit glue or AquaSeal, let it cure, and then cut the bitter end flush to the knot.

You could consider using epoxy to mold a “T” shaped glob on the end if a knot or 180° fold-over is too large. Just poke the end through one of the side holes in the clip, mold the end, and pull it back in the clip. I haven’t tried it but it seems like an option. Let us know if you try it.

Back
Top Bottom