How do I improve my air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have issues with being the first to run out of air. A divemaster in Aruba suggested humming a song. I lean towards "Yellow Submarine" and "Octopus's Garden", both are activity appropriate and seem to set a good rythm. Since then I tend to come up with everyone else and with plenty of gas left (usually over 800). The only bad news on this method is that others can hear you (on a recent trip to St. John, the divemaster asked who the singer was).
:smbat:
Jeff

.....I can sympathize with you. Just got back from Cozumel, did 8 boat dives with Liquid Blue Divers, and was always the 1st of the group to run out of air. On about half the dives the divemaster put me on his octo for a while.....on the other half of the dives I didn't have to go on the octo, but still was1st to run out of air....on those dives I was running about 300 psi lower at the end of the dive than the next worst diver, and she is less experienced than me as well.

Some of the divers were 'beating' me by 1000 psi......on average they 'beat' me by 500-800 psi.......the only 'good' news was we were diving HP 120's, doing fairly deep dives (my max depth on 1 dive was 136 ft) so with the larger tanks we still got 50-60 min bottom times....and some of the divers' computers were hitting 'deco' at about the time I ran out of air so the dives were terminated regardless of my air consumption.

( I calculated that I'd used about 50% more air than the gentleman who 'beat' me by 1000 psi).

(In July, during my last Cozumel trip---dove AL80's---I was also always the 1st person to run out of air, although sometimes it was only by a small margin...other times by a larger margin......and on those dives, with the smaller tanks, we didn't get close to 'deco' so the dives could have been a bit longer for the group if it weren't for me).

I'm not a big person (140--145 lbs) and 40 yrs old , I'm trim, don't drink/smoke, and feel relaxed in the water, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm planning to look into the 'yoga' training.......it's the only original idea I hadn't thought of that I've read on this thread........otherwise, for now, I employ the brute force method........bring along more gas!

While it only works for local dives, I dive large singles (120's + 130's) and small doubles ( twin 85's + 76's) which pretty much at least let's me stay even with most other divers, as almost everyone dives AL 63s or AL 80's.

The 'small' twinsets---especially the 76's---are very compact and not too heavy, even for me, yet even just the 76 twinset provides 152 cu ft of gas @ 2640 psi......and 173 cu ft of gas @ 3000 psi.

Karl

I am 6' and weigh 210 lbs. I am not, by any stretch, a superjock. I try to exercise when I can. I regulary, however, come up with more air than friends of mine who are much more "fit" than me. I get more out of a LP 80 than others can get out of a medium pressure tank. I need no weights (although I use around 4lbs clip-on weights for safety, or if a buddy needs a few extra lbs while down.) with my skin suit and steel LP 80, while one South African buddy of mine needs 6-8 lbs, and he's so skinny he disappears if he turns sideways. Anyway, for me diving is a very relaxing activity. I don't care how far we actually go underwater. It's time to stop and smell the fishes. :) In August I dove (in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) for 67 minutes. Went down with 3100psi, and came back up with 900, and that included 1 minute at 150 feet. When I first started diving in 1999, I was lucky to get 45 minutes bottom time and come up with 250 psi. I just put along, no thrashing or excessive use of hands. I just have the standard type fins. Split fins might make some quantitative difference, but I don't see the need myself. I don't put much force into moving along anyway, except when there's serious current, and then I'm glad I don't have split fins. Anyway, I just write this note to put my 2 cents in. What I don't understand is why, if from shore I need 9 lbs with 2.5ml wetsuit and LP Aluminium 80, why is it that when I go boat diving, with the same setup I need 12 lbs. Is the salinity higher out to sea? Would like a response to this. Ciao for now, Dave

mmmmm i think its easy to answer ( I am a big guy too, and typically breath less than most divers i go with including ladies half my size )........ trick................ Physics !

keep you heart beat / energy use as low as possible ( not Zero ...although it does save alot of air ! ) . Conserve energy!

What makes your heart beat / or loose energy

- wrong balance / stream line
- wrong boyancy
- any movement of any kind !
- heat loss through poor thermal protection.

I have a had a few air gluping friends try the 'lazy divers approach' and it made a difference between night and day.

If you follow this approach, you dont have to even think about ur breathing, it will sort itself out.

ScottyK once bubbled...

I go 6' 220lbs and am in good shape for a 37 year old (although I did smoke when I was younger). After a dive, I usually have more air left than almost anyone else on the boat.

Good luck
Scott

Sorry to jump in late but some things in this thread sounded familiar. I'm the same size as Scotty but 20 years older. When I was first certified in 1998 my gas consumption was pretty bad despite my being quite comfortable in the water and it was forcing me to thumb dives earlier than my buddies so I wanted to fix it. I worked patiently at it and came to the following conclusions.

1: I know I have large lung capacity. My doctor commented on it. And I figured that shallow breathing isn't good as it doesn't flush out all the co2 nor does it really physically satisfy my urge to breathe deeply. My solution is to concentrate on a breathing pattern of several shallow breaths followed by one deep cleansing breath. I don't get headaches so it must be working. I try to slow my breathing rate, in and out, even hesitating a little while when full if I'm running on a constant level and then hesitating again when empty. I suppose it's skip breathing but I'm careful about the situation.

2: I noticed that once I started paying attention to my trim and buoyancy and began to swim close to horizontal my gas use dropped somewhat so presumably I was reducing my workload. I won't say this was all due to switching to a backplate and small wing but it probably helped.

3: I've concluded that colder water and lower viz conditions just naturally mean higher air consumption. Add in some fighting with current above and below and the sac goes stratospheric. Perhaps partly stress-related. Perhaps partly a result of less efficient movement thru the water with bulkier clothes. Absolutely no question that there's a workload difference between a 3/2 in 85 degrees and a drysuit with doubles, heavy undies, gloves and hood etc in 40 degrees. Our cold water dives vary from no current to strong current and for some reason we always end up having to fight the current at some point in a current dive. It never seems to work like in Florida or Mexico where we get picked up after a lazy drift.

4: I discovered that unless I pay attention, I tend to let my finning rhythm dictate my breathing speed. It takes conscious effort for me to break that rhythm.

5: And finally, I've noticed that some Florida friends of mine who I would consider damned good divers with major league sac are using 100 ft single tanks. They dive Nitrox off Boynton Beach and max their bottom times but with huge reserves at the end. I'm not sure how this affects them individually but in my case it makes me more comfortable about staying down with them for close to 60 minutes on the outer reef. With my al80's I was down to 500 pounds at depth and that's dumb. Determined to stay with them, I was getting stressed from worrying about my reserve getting low. Stress made me breathe harder at the end of the dive.

So the culmination of this personal analysis was in Grand Cayman in 2001. The conditions were gorgeous but there was absolutely no current so no free rides. I was always first in the water and last out, and often the deepest by a bit when we swam the walls. On the first dive each morning I would usually exceed 100' for a few minutes. I discovered that despite being the oldest diver on the boat and often the one with the fewest certs, the only diver who could stay with me gaswise was another old dude, the resort's op and boat captain. He would use me as an example for the younger divers of how they could get better mileage.

Now, all that bragging aside. If I don't pay close attention to my breathing or if I'm task-loaded like in a cf during a cave or cavern course, I can suck air like a hoover. I hope that with experience I'll get better at breathing naturally but time is my enemy. 8)

So I guess I'm saying what most everybody else is, that anybody can be a good breather, but it takes some concentration, comfort, consideration and certainly some mastery of fundamental diving skills.

Good luck
John F

klausbh once bubbled...
Can someone please explain to me why large lungs are supposed to be bad? I have heard this several times and it doesn't make sense to me. If you inhale more air with each breath, you also get more O2 and can get rid of more CO2 with each breath. By the logic of big breaths = bad, shallow breathing would be superior to deep breathing, which clearly it is not.

Body mass is an entirely different matter. If you have to supply 250 lbs of tissue with O2, you will run through air more quickly than if you only weigh 150 lbs. Since big people tend to have big lungs, I think this might be the reason for the whole big lung problem / misconception.

What am I missing here?

-Klaus

Gas exchange only happens in the avioli (sp?) of which you will have more but remember that you also have more volume where gas exchange will not occur (the bronchial tubes, trachea, etc) so each breath has a larger volume of air that will just be exhaled and not consumed than someone with smaller lungs.

Lots of good advice here, thanks.

I noticed that my first 1000 goes the fastest, so I will work on the ascent issues.

Heres the flip, I have pretty decent consumption, so am always finishing dives before I want to because my buddies are running out!

Two buddies that always finish with more air than me are both instructors, one a smallish gal who dives AL 60 to my 80 and the other a 6'5 260 lb guy. What I notice about them is no unecessary movement, and totally relaxed in the water.

My 1st 1000 PSI also goes the fastest but it's mainly because of fast fills. Remember, if your tank is warm to the touch when you get in the water, you're going to lose a few hundred PSI even if you have gills. In other words, if you want to really do some metrics on how your breathing is, make sure your tank is at water temp before breathing off it.

WVMike once bubbled...
Lots of good advice here, thanks.

I noticed that my first 1000 goes the fastest, so I will work on the ascent issues.

Heres the flip, I have pretty decent consumption, so am always finishing dives before I want to because my buddies are running out!

Two buddies that always finish with more air than me are both instructors, one a smallish gal who dives AL 60 to my 80 and the other a 6'5 260 lb guy. What I notice about them is no unecessary movement, and totally relaxed in the water.

When yer not looking they sneak up on you and breathe off yer octo. That's why many of us have gone to the necklaced secondary. They can't get at it as easily.

As for finishing with too much gas left, how do you think cavers feel, having to come out with at least 1/3 of their gas and in many cases much much more? If you dive in many places in the Caribbean you'll find that the dives are typically 35-40 minutes regardless of gas reserves and you'll be exiting the water with your al80 half full. But look on the bright side. A big reserve is better than an OOA.

John F

Hi everyone, I want to start by saying I only have about 12 dives under my belt. However my last trip to ST. Martin, I surfaced with only 240 psi left. The reason is pretty bad. I didn't want to end everyones dive. My question is is there a way to controll your breathing. Seems like I always have to come up first. I'm in great shape, new equipment but nothing seems to work. I even tried to force myself not to breath as much. The + - on the reg dosn't help either. Any ideals thanks Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom